GAO is best known for our reports that detail the findings of our evaluations and audits. Read our latest reports.
In addition to our audit reports, we issue several other types of products.
- Quick-Read Reports: These products synthesize information relevant to current or emerging issues, generally in no more than two pages. For example, Science and Technology Spotlights explain emerging science and technology issues, including opportunities and challenges and relevant policy considerations. Similarly, we publish 1- or 2-page quick-reads on various topics, such as health care, defense-related acquisition, and energy.
- Technology Assessments: To support congressional decision-making, these assessments analyze the latest developments in science and technology, draw attention to implications of technological change, and make core concepts accessible to policymakers. Read our latest Technology Assessments.
- Legal Decisions: As part of Congress’s exercise of its constitutional power of the purse, GAO issues legal decisions on, for example, the Antideficiency Act and the Congressional Budget and Impoundment Control Act of 1974. Read our latest Legal Decisions.
- Testimonies: A committee or subcommittee Chair can request, in writing, that a GAO witness testify on GAO work at a hearing. Read our latest testimonies.
- Signature Publications: Recurring featured products such as our America’s Fiscal Future Fiscal Health report, High Risk List, Priority Open Recommendation Letters, and Duplication & Cost Savings work.
Requests for GAO reports must come from congressional committees, subcommittees, or Members of Congress. In conjunction with Members of Congress, we developed our Congressional Protocols, which outline our policies and procedures for accepting and completing work.