CAE provides a wide range of interactive courses that use a combination of approaches, including lectures, video clips, large and small group discussion, and hands-on group activities. CAE instructors are highly experienced former GAO senior managers and executives that have directed audit teams and managed the design and implementation of complex audits using a variety of methodological approaches. They have expertise in a wide range of topics including education, defense, international affairs, financial management, information technology, transportation and physical infrastructure, procurement, and internal control and government auditing standards. We provide a certificate of completion at the end of each course.
The following courses are available through our Open Enrollment registration system as well as through our group-based and customized training. Additional courses available through our group-based/customized training are also listed below.
Understanding Changes in the 2018 Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (Yellow Book), for Performance Audits
To conduct high-quality audits consistent with Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS), auditors need to both understand the overall Yellow Book requirements and stay up to date with revisions, such as those that apply to performance audits that begin on or after July 1, 2019. This half-day course provides participants with an understanding of changes in GAGAS requirements and guidance that relate to all types of audits as well as those that apply specifically to performance audits. The Yellow Book states that obtaining CPEs specifically on GAGAS, particularly during years in which there are revisions to the standards, may assist auditors in maintaining the competence necessary to conduct GAGAS engagements. New and seasoned auditors will benefit from this material. Download the full course description (PDF, 2 pages)
Conducting Quality Performance Audits for Results
Independent performance audits are key to ensuring public sector programs are following laws and regulations and are achieving intended results. This 2-day course provides participants with tools to develop researchable audit questions, design and conduct performance audits, determine evidence quality, and formulate a reader-focused report message, all in line with GAGAS requirements. Both new and seasoned auditors in team member or team leader roles will gain knowledge and new perspectives about designing and conducting performance audits. Download the full course description (PDF, 2 pages).
Understanding and Assessing Internal Control in Audits
Government standards require auditors to assess and report on relevant internal control features when they are found to be significant to audit objectives. This 1-day course provides auditors a thorough understanding of internal control components and principles, practical tips on how to operationalize requirements, and examples of red flags that could indicate deficiencies. This course helps both new and seasoned auditors in team member or team leader roles better understand and apply the revised internal control requirements in the new yellow book standards. Download the full course description (PDF, 2 pages).
Selecting and Applying Performance Audit Methodologies
Selecting the most appropriate methodology is key to the success of any audit. This 1-day course covers the characteristics of a range of audit methodologies, factors to consider when selecting an approach, tips for applying commonly used methodologies, and information on documenting and reporting for each methodology. Both new and seasoned auditors, as well as team leaders, will gain valuable insights on selecting and applying audit methodologies. Download the full course description (PDF, 2 pages).
Effectively Leading and Managing Audits
Effectively leading audits can be challenging and requires both technical and interpersonal skills. This 2-day course provides tools and insights on the full range of skills needed to lead and manage high-performing teams, such as guiding audit planning, supervising audit work, developing and motivating staff, providing effective feedback, reviewing reports, and promoting a positive team culture. The concepts and resource materials can be used by team leaders, as well as those aspiring to lead audits. Download the full course description (PDF, 2 pages).
Collecting and Assessing Evidence to Produce Sound Audit Findings
Evidence is the foundation for any audit—it forms the basis for developing findings, conclusions, and recommendations. This 1-day course provides a fundamental understanding of GAGAS evidence standards in conducting audits, the types of evidence and their strengths and weaknesses, and the need for professional judgment and critical thinking skills in analyzing and assessing evidence. Appropriate for both new and seasoned auditors in team member or team leader roles. Download the full course description (PDF, 2 pages).
Reviewing Draft Reports and Providing Effective Feedback
Audit findings must be communicated clearly and on time to be useful to agencies and policy makers, yet the process of moving from a draft to a high-quality report can be challenging for both report writers and reviewers. This 1-day course provides practical techniques for reviewing drafts and providing effective feedback that can expedite revisions, result in high-quality products, and help improve staff report writing skills. This course is suited for audit team members, as well as supervisors. Download the full course description (PDF, 2 pages).
Additional courses available through our group-based and customized training include Audit Planning, Message Development and Report Writing, Data Reliability, and Indexing and Referencing. Interested? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (202) 512-7100.
CAE also offers fee-based technical assistance to accountability organizations on a number of topics, including:
- Conducting needs assessments to identify areas for improvement and next steps for strengthening capacity
- Identifying, developing, and supporting the implementation of strategic plans, human capital strategies, performance measurement systems, and processes for recommendation follow-up
- Mentoring and coaching audit teams in carrying out various types of audits using proven tools and techniques for delivering high-quality results
- Mentoring auditors to engage with stakeholders (like the public and the media) and implement organizational change
Technical assistance can be customized to meet your organization’s needs. To request technical assistance, please email us at email@example.com or call us at (202) 512-7100.
How We Work
We work with organizations in a collaborative fashion to provide technical assistance. After being contacted by an organization that is interested in our services, we:
Engage in dialogue to understand an organization’s needs
Upon receiving an inquiry or request for services, we will schedule a time to meet with representatives of the requesting organization to gain a better understanding of its needs, identify types of services that can best meet those needs, and discuss timeframes. We will then develop a description of proposed services, along with associated fees.
Assign highly experienced Center staff
Our highly experienced audit professionals and trainers have previously served as senior audit executives and managers, instructors, and professional development coaches at GAO and other organizations.
Determine the most cost-efficient location and approach for providing services
During discussions with requesting organizations, we work collaboratively to identify the most efficient and cost-effective way to provide services. Our goal is to limit costs for providing services and keep fees at an affordable level. We have the capacity to travel to a requesting organization’s location and anticipate this will often be the most cost-effective way to provide services. However, we also have the capacity to provide services at GAO.
Develop and deliver services
After signing an agreement with a requesting organization, we prepare relevant materials, provide regular updates and deliver services in accordance with agreed upon timeframes, fees, and scope of work. We seek feedback from organizations throughout the process to help ensure their needs are met.
CAE has provided high-quality training and technical assistance to multiple Supreme Audit Institutions (SAIs) around the world, as well as to numerous federal, state, and local audit organizations.
Customer feedback has consistently demonstrated excellent ratings for courses, and regularly includes praise for the knowledgeable instructors, use of varied teaching approaches, quality of the curriculum, the high level of classroom interaction, and practical applicability to the job.
Recent feedback includes:
“The best investment ever made!”
“Instructor had great energy, useful examples, encouraged participation, and had excellent reference materials.”
“The content was spot on for what we do as auditors.”
“[These are some] of the most incredible trainers I have ever had. The way they keep us engaged in each part of the course…with so much fun is what makes this course very special.”
“The breadth and depth of the… positive feedback…from our staff clearly demonstrated the value of the training…”
- We signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the World Bank to promote global accountability and strong public financial management.
- We signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the US Agency for International Development to enhance the capability of audit organizations in developing countries.
Examples of CAE accomplishments
CAE has worked to build capacity and foster effective accountability on a global scale (PDF, 3 pages). We have worked with SAIs on site in multiple countries to improve their capacity.
For example, we have:
- Assisted an SAI in Central America improve its capacity to conduct performance audits through training courses, helped update its performance audit manual, and mentored an audit team
- Began a 3-year project to help enhance the performance audit capability of an SAI in Asia that will include training classes, coaching and mentoring auditors, and other support (through USAID partnership)
- Conducted an assessment to identify key capacity building needs of an SAI in Africa (through USAID partnership)
- Helped a European SAI assess and improve its process for documenting financial results from audits
- Helped a European SAI enhance its capacity to conduct information technology audits
We have also provided various training courses for domestic audit agencies to improve audit skills, enhance knowledge on evidence standards, and strengthen supervisor proficiencies.
For example, we have:
- Provided 10 training sessions on internal control to a federal Inspector General office in its D.C. and regional offices
- Provided a week of training that covered performance auditing, internal control, and indexing and referencing to a federal Inspector General office. We were then asked to come back and provide six more sessions.
- Provided training on auditing the efficiency and effectiveness of state programs to a state audit office
- Provided training to auditors from a large local government audit office on performance auditing, use of evidence, and critical reviews of drafts
By providing training and technical assistance, CAE helps accountability organizations:
- Improve skills in planning, conducting, and reporting on performance and financial audits
- Sharpen managers’ leadership and supervisory skills to more effectively oversee audits
- Understand and apply internal control and other relevant federal and international audit standards
- Conduct needs assessments to identify areas for strengthening policies, procedures, and skills
- Identify, develop, and implement quality assurance frameworks, strategic plans, human capital strategies, and performance measures
CAE is staffed by former senior-level GAO executives and managers to ensure high-quality services and provide independence from the GAO offices that provide routine audit and oversight services.