National Park Service:

Cost Estimates for Two Proposed Park Facilities in Texas

RCED-91-218BR: Published: Sep 3, 1991. Publicly Released: Oct 3, 1991.

Additional Materials:


Office of Public Affairs
(202) 512-4800

Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO analyzed the cost estimates for the proposed: (1) visitor center at San Antonio Missions National Historical Park; and (2) headquarters/visitor center and a separate maintenance facility at Big Thicket National Preserve.

GAO found that: (1) the National Park Service's (NPS) initial cost estimate for the San Antonio Missions visitor center was $8.63 million, and approximately $200,000 had been appropriated for planning and design work; (2) the initial NPS cost estimate for the Big Thicket facilities was $8.41 million, and approximately $564,000 had been appropriated for planning and about $3.1 million had been appropriated for the maintenance facility; (3) NPS estimated that such additional site work as landscaping and construction of walks and parking areas for the San Antonio Missions visitor center would cost $806,000; (4) 69 percent of the square footage in the San Antonio Missions visitor center will be visitor accommodation and interpretive space and the remaining 31 percent will be administrative space; (5) design and construction of the facilities at Big Thicket will be done in two phases, with phase I consisting of the maintenance facility and phase II consisting of the headquarters and visitor center; (6) 68 percent of the Big Thicket facility will be used for NPS staff and the remaining 32 percent will be for visitors; (7) NPS estimated that the maintenance facility would cost about $1.38 million and the headquarters/visitor center would cost about $2.27 million; and (8) a 31-percent allocation for project supervision and potential construction contingencies and cost overruns added $1.78 million to the total Big Thicket project cost and added $1.74 million to the San Antonio Missions project cost.

Nov 20, 2020

Nov 19, 2020

Oct 6, 2020

Sep 23, 2020

Aug 6, 2020

Aug 5, 2020

Jul 23, 2020

Jul 14, 2020

Jun 25, 2020

Looking for more? Browse all our products here