GAO’s Education, Workforce, and Income Security Team
Posted on January 21, 2015
GAO’s workforce is organized largely by subject area, with many of its employees working in one of 14 mission teams. Today we’ll be putting the spotlight on the Education, Workforce, and Income Security (EWIS) team, which focuses on programs and legislation that affect Americans’ quality of life from infancy to old age.Reports The EWIS team’s reports cover these issue areas:
- Education: We have reported on implementing "Common Core" curriculum standards, Department of Education loan practices, and training programs intended to assist military servicemembers in their return to civilian life.
- Benefits and Protections for Workers, Families, and Children: For example, we’ve looked at occupational hazards such as ammonium nitrate; fraud in the nation’s largest nutrition assistance program; and efforts to protect children from sexual abuse in schools.
- Social Security, Retirement, and Issues Facing an Aging Population: We’ve reported on the effects of student loan debt on Social Security benefits, how changes to retirement plans affect retirees and their families, and on combating elder financial exploitation.
Excerpted from GAO-15-151We identified several potential approaches the federal government could take to expand incentives to states to improve college affordability, such as
- creating new grants,
- providing more consumer information on affordability, or
- changing federal student aid programs.
- Questions on the content of this post? Contact Barbara Bovbjerg at email@example.com.
- Comments on GAO’s WatchBlog? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.