GAO’s workforce is organized largely by subject area, with most employees working in 1 of 14 mission teams. Today we’ll be putting the spotlight on the Natural Resources and Environment (NRE) team, which works on issues such as land and water management, environmental protection, food safety, agricultural programs, energy, science, and nuclear security. Reports NRE reports cover five issue areas:
- Agriculture, Food Safety, and Science
- A recently issued report recommended that the Department of Agriculture clearly disclose to the public limitations in the information it relied on for its proposed rule to modernize poultry slaughter inspections.
- One recent report examined whether the Department of the Interior had processes in place to ensure that the federal government was getting a fair return on oil and gas resources.
- Federal Lands and Waters
- One report recommended that the Bureau of Land Management could enhance its appraisal process for coal properties and take steps to release on its websites additional summary information on results of past lease sales.
- Environmental Protection
- A recent report recommended Congress should consider amending the Safe Drinking Water Act to improve regulation of the Environmental Protection Agency’s Contaminant Monitoring Program.
- U.S. and International Nuclear Security and Cleanup
- A recently issued report recommended that the National Nuclear Security Administration include a range of budget estimates for preliminary projects and programs in future modernization plans.
Image excerpted from GAO-13-684