Posted on January 30, 2014
GAO’s workforce is organized largely by subject area, with most employees working in 1 of 14 mission teams. Today we’ll be putting the spotlight on the International Affairs and Trade (IAT) team, which works on a broad range of international topics assisting the global community in addressing challenging issues through objective research and oversight in order to improve global prosperity and peace. Reports IAT reports cover six issue areas:
- Foreign assistance
- For example, we recently reported on the implementation and sustainability of earthquake reconstruction projects in Haiti.
- Foreign affairs management
- One recent report addressed delays in obtaining Pakistani visas that disrupt the delivery and oversight of U.S. assistance to Pakistan.
- International counterterrorism
- One report recommended ways that DHS could better ensure that its resources abroad for combating terrorism align with its priorities.
- International finance and multilateral organizations
- Work in this area includes a recent report on the effects of U.S. and international sanctions on the Iranian economy.
- International security
- One recent report assessed U.S. agencies' funding and activities that support the Central America Regional Security Initiative.
- International trade
- We recently reported, for example, on key challenges that small- and medium-sized businesses face when they try to impose antidumping and countervailing duties to seek relief from unfair trade practices.