Immigration and Naturalization Service:

Employment Verification Pilot Project

GGD-97-136R: Published: Jul 17, 1997. Publicly Released: Jul 17, 1997.

Additional Materials:


Norman J. Rabkin
(202) 512-3610


Office of Public Affairs
(202) 512-4800

GAO reviewed an Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) demonstration project to help employers verify work eligibility for newly hired noncitizen workers.

GAO noted that: (1) under the Employment Verification Pilot project, in response to nearly 45,000 queries over about a 16-month period, the INS electronically verified 80 percent of self-certified noncitizen new hires as authorized to work; (2) the remaining 20 percent did not receive electronic verification either because the INS could find no information on the noncitizens or the INS determined that documentation presented by noncitizens was counterfeit, had expired, or indicated that employment was not authorized; and (3) of those noncitizens who did not receive electronic verification, only 3 percent contacted the INS to resolve their status.

Oct 19, 2020

Jun 22, 2020

Apr 14, 2020

Feb 14, 2020

Feb 10, 2020

Sep 9, 2019

Apr 10, 2019

  • employment icon, source: GAO

    Priority Open Recommendations:

    Department of Labor
    GAO-19-395SP: Published: Apr 3, 2019. Publicly Released: Apr 10, 2019.

Apr 9, 2019

Apr 8, 2019

Mar 28, 2019

Looking for more? Browse all our products here