Alexander Hamilton has quite the legacy: he was the first Secretary of the Treasury; he created a plan for managing the national debt; and he is now the inspiration behind the Tony Award-nominated musical, Hamilton. In anticipation of this Sunday’s Tony Awards, the WatchBlog shares some of the GAO reports that are in the front row center of this founding father’s institutions and policies. Hamilton’s Treasury: then and now Hamilton designed the Department of the Treasury not only to collect and disburse public revenue, but also to spur economic growth in the young country. Treasury’s responsibilities have grown since Hamilton’s time, and we have followed the drama. For example, we recently reviewed several new offices and activities within Treasury, including
- the Financial Stability Oversight Council, which brings federal financial regulators together to monitor stability across the financial system;
- Treasury’s collection and analysis of data on terrorism insurance; and
- the Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, which provided funding to help homeowners and financial institutions recover from the 2007-2009 financial crisis.
- The penny is 97.5% zinc, with the remaining 2.5% a copper plating.
- The nickel is “cupronickel,” an alloy of 75% copper and 25% nickel.
- The dime and the quarter each consist of three layers of metal–a copper inner layer and two identical outer layers, which are a silver-colored 75% copper alloy.