Areas of Expertise:
- Strategic planning
- National and global trends
- Design thinking
- Artificial Intelligence
Stephen Sanford is the Managing Director of GAO’s Strategic Planning and External Liaison team. He helps GAO strategically plan for the future, lead external relations with domestic and international accountability partners, and drive agency-wide innovation and transformation. He also oversees the activities of the GAO Center for Audit Excellence and is Director of GAO's Center for Strategic Foresight.
Stephen joined GAO in 2009. He has led efforts to develop 3 agency strategic plans, supported GAO's bilateral and multilateral international relations with national governments and international organizations, and helped lead GAO's first technology assessment on artificial intelligence. In recognition of his work, he has received a GAO Distinguished Service Award and a GAO Meritorious Service Award.
Prior to GAO, he advised executives on technology and business process improvement at multinational firms in London, Paris, and Brussels. He was also responsible for science and technology policy issues at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow. He earned a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Pennsylvania. He earned a master’s degree in business administration with distinction from INSEAD in France.
Stephen can be reached by email at email@example.com or by phone at 202-512-4707.
For more information about the Strategic Planning and External Liaison portfolio, see:
- Center for Audit Excellence
- Center for Strategic Foresight
- GAO 2018-2023 Strategic Plan
- GAO 2018-2023 Strategic Plan: Key Efforts
- GAO 2018-2023 Strategic Plan: Trends Affecting Government and Society
- GAO's International Protocols
- Intergovernmental Audit Forums
- International Auditor Fellowship Program
- International Journal of Government Auditing