Areas of Expertise:
- Cyber critical infrastructure protection
- Data protection
- Financial systems security
Nick Marinos is a Director in GAO’s Information Technology and Cybersecurity team. He leads audit teams that perform government-wide and agency-specific reviews in the areas of cybersecurity, critical infrastructure, privacy, and data protection across all major federal agencies. Nick also leads GAO’s ongoing evaluation of the Census Bureau’s efforts to implement and protect IT systems critical to the 2020 Census.
Nick joined GAO in 2002. During his career at GAO, Nick has led major reviews of:
- Efforts by the executive branch to implement the National Cyber Strategy
- Cybersecurity risk management practices at major federal agencies
- Data protection practices at the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services and Federal Student Aid office
- The response by Equifax and federal agencies to the 2017 data breach
- Cybersecurity of critical infrastructure, including within the financial services sector, the nation’s electricity grid, and oil and gas pipeline sectors
Nick earned an MBA in information systems and technology and a bachelor’s degree in business information technology, both from Virginia Tech. He serves on the Virginia Tech MBA and BIT advisory boards at the Pamplin College of Business. As one of GAO’s leading experts, Nick is also frequently invited to speak on a range of cybersecurity topics. Nick is a certified information privacy professional.