U.S. General Accounting Office
Effects of Federal Activities on State Water Availability, Management, and Use (GAO-03-834SP)
This document presents the aggregated responses of state water
managers to our survey on how federal activities affect state water
availability, management, and use. We developed a web-based questionnaire
to obtain the data. Information about accessing the questionnaire was
provided via e-mail to the water managers of all 50 states. To ensure
security and integrity, we provided each state official with a password
that allowed him or her to access and complete a questionnaire. We received
responses from 47 states for a response rate of 94 percent. A more detailed
discussion of our scope and methodology and a summary of the survey results
are contained in our report entitled "Freshwater Supply: States’ Views of How Federal
Agencies Could Help Them Meet the Challenges of Expected Shortages" GAO-03-514.
We conducted our work from March 2002 through May 2003 in accordance with generally accepted government auditing standards.
Instructions for Viewing this Survey
How to View The Survey
- Click on the Table of Contents link located
in the lower right of this screen. To read to the bottom of the screen, you may need to use your scroll bar
on the right side of this screen.
- The first screen in the survey is an introduction and general information that was sent to and
viewed by recipients of the survey. There are no survey results to view on this screen.
This screen is for information only and you may by-pass it by clicking on Next located at the bottom of the
screen in the lower right.
- When a respondent wrote a narrative response to a question, we present the percent of respondents making a
How to View the Responses for Each Question
- To view the responses to each question, click on the question number (Links to survey questions will
look like this: 1. 2. 3., etc.).
- After viewing the responses to each question, click on the "x" in the upper right corner of your screen
to close that window and return to the questionnaire.
How to Return to a Page That You Previously Visited
- To return to the last screen you viewed, click the Previous button on the lower right corner of the screen.
- Click the Next button to retrace your steps and return to screens you viewed.
How to Make the Font Larger on Your Screen
- You can make the font larger by changing your browser setting. For example, on Internet Explorer you can
change the font size by going to View and selecting Text Size.