GAO Month in Review July 2007
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Agriculture and Food
- Federal Farm Programs: USDA Needs to Strengthen Controls to Prevent Improper Payments to Estates and Deceased Individuals. GAO-07-818, July 9, 2007 (45 pages).
- Federal Farm Programs: USDA Needs to Strengthen Management Controls to Prevent Improper Payments to Estates and Deceased Individuals. GAO-07-1137T, July 24, 2007 (10 pages).
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Corporate Shareholder Meetings: Issues Relating to Firms That Advise Institutional Investors on Proxy Voting. GAO-07-765, June 29, 2007 (23 pages).
- Small Business Administration: Response to the Gulf Coast Hurricanes Highlights Need for Enhanced Disaster Preparedness. GAO-07-1124T, July 25, 2007 (9 pages).
- Emergency Management Assistance Compact: Enhancing EMAC's Collaborative and Administrative Capacity Should Improve National Disaster Response. GAO-07-854, June 29, 2007 (47 pages).
- Federal Family Education Loan Program: Increased Department of Education Oversight of Lender and School Activities Needed to Help Ensure Program Compliance GAO-07-750 July 31, 2007 (50 pages).
- Federal Family Education Loan Program: Eliminating the Exceptional Performer Designation Would Result in Substantial Savings without Adversely Affecting the Loan Program. GAO-07-1087, July 26, 2007 (24 pages).
- Higher Education: Information Sharing Could Help Institutions Identify and Address Challenges Some Asian Americans and Pacific Islander Students Face. GAO-07-925, July 25, 2007 (59 pages).
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Recent Trends in Teams and Participants in National Collegiate Athletic Association Sports. GAO-07-535, July 12, 2007 (64 pages).
- Intercollegiate Athletics: Trends by Sport in National Collegiate Athletic Association Sports. GAO-07-744SP, July 12, 2007 (1 page).
- Retirement Decisions: Federal Policies Offer Mixed Signals about When to Retire. GAO-07-753, July 11, 2007 (73 pages).
- Energy Derivatives: Preliminary Views on Energy Derivatives Trading and CFTC Oversight. GAO-07-1095T, July 12, 2007 (16 pages).
- Hanford Waste Treatment Plant: Department of Energy Needs to Strengthen Controls over Contractor Payments and Project Assets. GAO-07-888, July 20, 2007 (43 pages).
- Nuclear Safety: Construction of the Protective Shelter for the Chernobyl Nuclear Reactor Faces Schedule Delays, Potential Cost Increases, and Technical Uncertainties. GAO-07-923, July 19, 2007 (66 pages).
- Nuclear Security: Actions Taken by NRC to Strengthen Its Licensing Process for Sealed Radioactive Sources Are Not Effective. GAO-07-1038T, July 12, 2007 (9 pages).
- Environmental Contamination: Department of Defense Activities Related to Trichloroethylene, Perchlorate, and Other Emerging Contaminants. GAO-07-1042T, July 12, 2007 (18 pages).
- Environmental Justice: Measurable Benchmarks Needed to Gauge EPA Progress in Correcting Past Problems. GAO-07-1140T, July 25, 2007 (13 pages).
- Environmental Protection: EPA-State Enforcement Partnership Has Improved, but EPA's Oversight Needs Further Enhancement. GAO-07-883, July 31, 2007 (46 pages).
- South Florida Ecosystem: Restoration Is Moving Forward but Is Facing Significant Delays, Implementation Challenges, and Rising Costs. GAO-07-520, May 31, 2007 (90 pages).
- The BEACH Act of 2000: EPA and States Have Made Progress Implementing the Act, but Further Actions Could Increase Public Health Protection. GAO-07-1073T, July 12, 2007 (13 pages).
- Credit Derivatives: Confirmation Backlogs Increased Dealers' Operational Risks, but Were Successfully Addressed after Joint Regulatory Action. GAO-07-716, June 13, 2007 (42 pages).
- Spot Cheese Market: Market Oversight Has Increased, but Concerns Remain about Potential Manipulation. GAO-07-707, June 21, 2007 (39 pages).
- Financial Audit: Significant Internal Control Weaknesses Remain in the Preparation of the Consolidated Financial Statements of the U.S. Government. GAO-07-805, July 23, 2007 (69 pages).
- Government Auditing Standards: July 2007 Revision. GAO-07-731G, July 2, 2007 (218 pages).
- Inspectors General: Opportunities to Enhance Independence and Accountability. GAO-07-1089T, July 11, 2007 (22 pages).
- Long-Term Fiscal Challenge: Additional Transparency and Controls Are Needed. GAO-07-1144T, July 25, 2007 (21 pages).
- Managerial Cost Accounting Practices: Implementation and Use Vary Widely across 10 Federal Agencies. GAO-07-679, July 20, 2007 (33 pages).
- State and Local Governments: Persistent Fiscal Challenges Will Likely Emerge within the Next Decade. GAO-07-1080SP, July 18, 2007 (6 pages).
- 2010 Census: Diversity in Human Capital, Outreach Efforts Can Benefit the 2010 Census. GAO-07-1132T, July 26, 2007 (17 pages).
- 2010 Census: Preparations for the 2010 Census Underway, but Continued Oversight and Risk Management Are Critical. GAO-07-1106T, July 17, 2007 (20 pages).
- Capitol Visitor Center: Update on Status of Project's Schedule and Cost as of July 31, 2007. GAO-07-1149T, July 31, 2007 (6 pages).
- Federal Acquisitions and Contracting: Systemic Challenges Need Attention. GAO-07-1098T, July 17, 2007 (24 pages).
- Federal Contracting: Use of Contractor Performance Information. GAO-07-1111T, July 18, 2007 (7 pages).
- Federal Real Property: DHS Has Made Progress, but Additional Actions Are Needed to Address Real Property Management and Security Challenges. GAO-07-658, June 22, 2007 (99 pages).
- Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board: Many Responsibilities and Investment Policies Set by Congress. GAO-07-611, June 21, 2007 (27 pages).
- Nonprofit Sector: Increasing Numbers and Key Role in Delivering Federal Services. GAO-07-1084T, July 24, 2007 (16 pages).
- U.S. Postal Service: Mail Processing Realignment Efforts Under Way Need Better Integration and Explanation. GAO-07-717, June 21, 2007 (63 pages).
- U.S. Postal Service: Progress Made in Implementing Mail Processing Realignment Efforts, but Better Integration and Performance Measurement Still Needed. GAO-07-1083T, July 26, 2007 (25 pages).
- USCIS Transformation: Improvements to Performance, Human Capital, and Information Technology Management Needed as Modernization Proceeds. GAO-07-1013R, July 17, 2007 (64 pages).
- Weather Forecasting: National Weather Service's Operations Prototype Needs More Rigorous Planning. GAO-07-650, June 8, 2007 (32 pages).
- Food and Drug Administration: Methodologies for Identifying and Allocating Costs of Reviewing Medical Device Applications Are Consistent with Federal Cost Accounting Standards, and Staffing Levels for Reviews Have Generally Increased in Recent Years. GAO-07-882R, June 25, 2007 (13 pages).
- Influenza Pandemic: DOD Combatant Commands' Preparedness Efforts Could Benefit from More Clearly Defined Roles, Resources, and Risk Mitigation. GAO-07-696, June 20, 2007 (55 pages).
- Medicaid: States Reported That Citizenship Documentation Requirement Resulted in Enrollment Declines for Eligible Citizens and Posed Administrative Burdens. GAO-07-889, June 28, 2007 (38 pages).
- Medicare Advantage: Required Audits of Limited Value. GAO-07-945, July 30, 2007 (46 pages).
- Medicare: Geographic Areas Used to Adjust Physician Payments for Variation in Practice Costs Should Be Revised. GAO-07-466, June 29, 2007 (78 pages).
- Alien Detention Standards: Telephone Access Problems Were Pervasive at Detention Facilities; Other Deficiencies Did Not Show a Pattern of Noncompliance. GAO-07-875, July 6, 2007 (68 pages).
- Border Security: Security of New Passports and Visas Enhanced, but More Needs to Be Done to Prevent Their Fraudulent Use. GAO-07-1006, July 31, 2007 (73 pages).
- Critical Infrastructure Protection: Sector Plans and Sector Councils Continue to Evolve. GAO-07-706R, July 10, 2007 (18 pages).
- Critical Infrastructure: Sector Plans Complete and Sector Councils Evolving. GAO-07-1075T, July 12, 2007 (23 pages).
- Homeland Security: DHS Privacy Office Has Made Progress but Faces Continuing Challenges. GAO-07-1024T, July 24, 2007 (23 pages).
- Homeland Security: DHS's Actions to Recruit and Retain Staff and Comply with the Vacancies Reform Act. GAO-07-758, July 16, 2007 (69 pages).
- Homeland Security: Observations on DHS and FEMA Efforts to Prepare for and Respond to Major and Catastrophic Disasters and Address Related Recommendations and Legislation. GAO-07-1142T, July 31, 2007 (35 pages).
- Information on Port Security in the Caribbean Basin. GAO-07-804R, June 29, 2007 (13 pages).
- September 11: HHS Needs to Ensure the Availability of Health Screening and Monitoring for All Responders. GAO-07-892, July 23, 2007 (35 pages).
- Federal Housing Administration: Decline in the Agency's Market Share Was Associated with Product and Process Developments of Other Mortgage Market Participants. GAO-07-645, June 29, 2007 (48 pages).
- Federal Housing Administration: Modernization Proposals Would Have Program and Budget Implications and Require Continued Improvements in Risk Management. GAO-07-708, June 29, 2007 (51 pages).
- Federal Housing Administration: Proposed Legislative Changes Would Affect Borrower Benefits and Risks to the Insurance Funds. GAO-07-1109T, July 18, 2007 (20 pages).
- Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation: Governance Structure Needs Improvements to Ensure Policy Direction and Oversight. GAO-07-808, July 6, 2007 (37 pages).
- Cybercrime: Public and Private Entities Face Challenges in Addressing Cyber Threats. GAO-07-705, June 22, 2007 (54 pages).
- Information Management: The National Archives and Records Administration's Fiscal Year 2007 Expenditure Plan. GAO-07-987, July 27, 2007 (42 pages).
- Information Security: Despite Reported Progress, Federal Agencies Need to Address Persistent Weaknesses. GAO-07-837, July 27, 2007 (56 pages).
- Information Technology: Treasury Needs to Strengthen Its Investment Board Operations and Oversight. GAO-07-865, July 23, 2007 (59 pages).
- Information Technology: VA and DOD Are Making Progress in Sharing Medical Information, but Remain Far from Having Comprehensive Electronic Medical Records. GAO-07-1108T, July 18, 2007 (22 pages).
- Personal Information: Data Breaches Are Frequent, but Evidence of Resulting Identity Theft Is Limited; However, the Full Extent Is Unknown. GAO-07-737, June 4, 2007 (45 pages).
- Compact of Free Association: Implementation Activities Have Progressed, but the Marshall Islands Faces Challenges to Achieving Long-Term Compact Goals. GAO-07-1115T, July 24, 2007 (21 pages).
- Compact of Free Association: Implementation Activities Have Progressed, but the Marshall Islands Faces Challenges to Achieving Long-Term Compact Goals. GAO-07-1125T, July 25, 2007 (21 pages).
- Export Controls: Vulnerabilities and Inefficiencies Undermine System's Ability to Protect U.S. Interests. GAO-07-1135T, July 26, 2007 (34 pages).
- Human Trafficking: A Strategic Framework Could Help Enhance the Interagency Collaboration Needed to Effectively Combat Trafficking Crimes. GAO-07-915, July 26, 2007 (68 pages).
- Human Trafficking: Monitoring and Evaluation of International Projects Are Limited, but Experts Suggest Improvements. GAO-07-1034, July 26, 2007 (59 pages).
- Millennium Challenge Corporation: Projected Impact of Vanuatu Compact Is Overstated. GAO-07-1122T, July 26, 2007 (21 pages).
- Millennium Challenge Corporation: Vanuatu Compact Overstates Projected Program Impact. GAO-07-909, July 11, 2007 (63 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: Serious Challenges Impair Efforts to Restore Iraq's Oil Sector and Enact Hydrocarbon Legislation. GAO-07-1107T, July 18, 2007 (22 pages).
- Stabilizing Iraq: DOD Cannot Ensure That U.S.-Funded Equipment Has Reached Iraqi Security Forces. GAO-07-711, July 31, 2007 (20 pages).
- Trade Adjustment Assistance: Industry Certification Would Likely Make More Workers Eligible, but Design and Implementation Challenges Exist. GAO-07-919, June 29, 2007 (39 pages).
- U.S. Public Diplomacy: Actions Needed to Improve Strategic Use and Coordination of Research. GAO-07-904, July 18, 2007 (50 pages).
- DOD Business Transformation: Lack of an Integrated Strategy Puts the Army's Asset Visibility System Investments at Risk. GAO-07-860, July 27, 2007 (60 pages).
- DOD's High-Risk Areas: Efforts to Improve Supply Chain Can Be Enhanced by Linkage to Outcomes, Progress in Transforming Business Operations, and Reexamination of Logistics Governance and Strategy. GAO-07-1064T, July 10, 2007 (26 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Realistic Business Cases Needed to Execute Navy Shipbuilding Programs. GAO-07-943T, July 24, 2007 (23 pages).
- Defense Health Care: Comprehensive Oversight Framework Needed to Help Ensure Effective Implementation of a Deployment Health Quality Assurance Program. GAO-07-831, June 22, 2007 (37 pages).
- Defense Health Care: Under TRICARE, Children's Hospitals Paid More Than Other Hospitals After Accounting for Patient Complexity. GAO-07-947, July 31, 2007 (30 pages).
- Defense Logistics: Efforts to Improve Distribution and Supply Support for Joint Military Operations Could Benefit from a Coordinated Management Approach. GAO-07-807, June 29, 2007 (59 pages).
- Global War on Terrorism: Reported Obligations for the Department of Defense. GAO-07-1056R, July 26, 2007 (10 pages).
- Human Capital: DOD Needs Better Internal Controls and Visibility over Costs for Implementing Its National Security Personnel System. GAO-07-851, July 16, 2007 (25 pages).
- Military Operations: Actions Needed to Improve DOD's Stability Operations Approach and Enhance Interagency Planning. GAO-07-549, May 31, 2007 (55 pages).
- Military Personnel: DOD Lacks Reliable Personnel Tempo Data and Needs Quality Controls to Improve Data Accuracy. GAO-07-780, July 17, 2007 (42 pages).
- Military Personnel: Improved Quality Controls Needed over Servicemembers' Employment Rights Claims at DOL. GAO-07-907, July 20, 2007 (49 pages).
- Military Personnel: The Navy Has Not Provided Adequate Justification For Its Decision to Invest in MCTFS. GAO-07-1139R, July 25, 2007 (8 pages).
- TRICARE: Changes to Access Policies and Payment Rates for Services Provided by Civilian Obstetricians. GAO-07-941R, July 31, 2007 (18 pages).
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Advance Coordination and Increased Visibility Needed to Optimize Capabilities. GAO-07-836, July 11, 2007 (32 pages).
- Federal Timber Sales: Forest Service Could Improve Efficiency of Field-Level Timber Sales Management by Maintaining More Detailed Data. GAO-07-764, June 27, 2007 (34 pages).
- National Marine Fisheries Service: Improved Economic Analysis and Evaluation Strategies Needed for Proposed Changes to Atlantic Large Whale Protection Plan. GAO-07-881, July 20, 2007 (53 pages).
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service: Opportunities Remain to Improve Oversight and Management of Oil and Gas Activities on National Wildlife Refuges. GAO-07-829R, June 29, 2007 (11 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- Environmental Satellite Acquisitions: Progress and Challenges. GAO-07-1099T, July 11, 2007 (32 pages).
- NASA Supplier Base: Challenges Exist in Transitioning from the Space Shuttle Program to the Next Generation of Human Space Flight Systems. GAO-07-940, July 25, 2007 (34 pages).
- NASA: Challenges in Completing and Sustaining the International Space Station. GAO-07-1121T, July 24, 2007 (8 pages).
- Property Management: Lack of Accountability and Weak Internal Controls Leave NASA Equipment Vulnerable to Loss, Theft, and Misuse. GAO-07-432, June 25, 2007 (45 pages).
- African American Children In Foster Care: Additional HHS Assistance Needed to Help States Reduce the Proportion in Care. GAO-07-816, July 11, 2007 (81 pages).
- Child Welfare: HHS Actions Would Help States Prepare Youth in the Foster Care System for Independent Living. GAO-07-1097T, July 12, 2007 (28 pages).
- Services Provided to Victims of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, Dating Violence, and Stalking. GAO-07-846R, July 19, 2007 (27 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Tax Compliance: Thousands of Organizations Exempt from Federal Income Tax Owe Nearly $1 Billion in Payroll and Other Taxes. GAO-07-1090T, July 24, 2007 (20 pages).
- Tax Compliance: Thousands of Organizations Exempt from Federal Income Tax Owe Nearly $1 Billion in Payroll and Other Taxes. GAO-07-563, June 29, 2007 (32 pages).
- Airport Finance: Observations on Planned Airport Development Costs and Funding Levels and the Administration's Proposed Changes in the Airport Improvement Program. GAO-07-885, June 29, 2007 (33 pages).
- Federal Aviation Administration: Viability of Current Funding Structure for Aviation Activities and Observations on Funding Provisions of Reauthorization Proposals. GAO-07-1104T, July 12, 2007 (18 pages).
- Highway and Transit Investments: Flexible Funding Supports State and Local Transportation Priorities and Multimodal Planning. GAO-07-772, July 26, 2007 (39 pages).
- Intermodal Transportation: DOT Could Take Further Actions to Address Intermodal Barriers. GAO-07-718, June 20, 2007 (50 pages).
- Motor Carrier Safety: Preliminary Information on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Efforts to Identify and Follow Up with High-risk Carriers. GAO-07-1074T, July 11, 2007 (24 pages).
- Public Transportation: Future Demand Is Likely for New Starts and Small Starts Programs, but Improvements Needed to the Small Starts Application Process. GAO-07-917, July 27, 2007 (44 pages).
- Public Transportation: Survey of Project Sponsors on Their Transit Projects and Experience with the Federal Transit Administration's New Starts and Small Starts Programs (GAO-07-927SP, July 2007), an E-supplement to GAO-07-917. GAO-07-927SP, July 27, 2007.
- Surface Transportation: Strategies Are Available for Making Existing Road Infrastructure Perform Better. GAO-07-920, July 26, 2007 (51 pages).
- Transportation Disadvantaged: Progress in Implementing the New Freedom Program Has Been Limited, and Better Monitoring Procedures Would Help Ensure Program Funds Are Used as Intended. GAO-07-999R, July 19, 2007 (34 pages).
- Veterans Affairs: Improved Planning Needed to Guide Development and Implementation of Education Benefits System. GAO-07-1045, July 31, 2007 (46 pages).
- Veterans Affairs: Inadequate Controls over IT Equipment at Selected VA Locations Pose Continuing Risk of Theft, Loss, and Misappropriation. GAO-07-505, July 16, 2007 (53 pages).
- Veterans Affairs: Lack of Accountability and Control Weaknesses over IT Equipment at Selected VA Locations. GAO-07-1100T, July 24, 2007 (11 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Axiom Resource Management, Inc.. B-298870.3, B-298870.4, July 12, 2007 (11 pages).
- Caddell Construction Company, Inc.. B-298949.2, June 15, 2007 (13 pages).
- Department of the Army--Reconsideration. B-299317.4, June 8, 2007 (10 pages).
- Diligent Consulting, Inc.--Costs. B-299556.3, June 26, 2007 (6 pages).
- Expired Funds and Interagency Agreements between GovWorks and the Department of Defense. B-308944, July 17, 2007 (14 pages).
- Forest City Military Communities, LLC. B-299577, June 29, 2007 (12 pages).
- Healthcare Technology Solutions International. B-299781, July 19, 2007 (6 pages).
- International Garment Processors. B-299674, B-299743, B-299746, July 17, 2007 (7 pages).
- J&J Colombia Services MV LTDA. B-299595.3, June 26, 2007 (4 pages).
- Kellogg Brown & Root Services, Inc.. B-298694.7, June 22, 2007 (13 pages).
- Medicaid Demonstration Projects in Florida and Vermont Approved Under Section 1115 of the Social Security Act. B-309734, July 24, 2007 (14 pages).
- Medical Matrix, LP. B-299526, B-299526.2, June 12, 2007 (10 pages).
- Meeks Disposal Corporation. B-299576, B-299576.2, June 28, 2007 (7 pages).
- Midwest Metals. B-299805, July 17, 2007 (3 pages).
- Panacea Consulting, Inc.--Costs. B-299307.3, B-299308.3, July 24, 2007 (4 pages).
- Sumaria Systems, Inc.. B-299517, B-299517.2, June 8, 2007 (8 pages).
- TVI Corporation. B-297849, April 19, 2006 (8 pages).
- Tennier Industries, Inc.. B-299624, July 12, 2007 (6 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration: Current Good Manufacturing Practice in Manufacturing, Packaging, Labeling, or Holding Operations for Dietary Supplements. GAO-07-1057R, July 6, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services; Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicaid Program; Citizenship Documentation Requirements. GAO-07-1112R, July 26, 2007 (4 pages).
- Securities and Exchange Commission: Amendments to Rules Regarding Management's Report on Internal Control Over Financial Reporting. GAO-07-1070R, July 6, 2007 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.