GAO Month in Review January 2007
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Agriculture and Food
- Agricultural Conservation: USDA Should Improve Its Management of Key Conservation Programs to Ensure Payments Promote Environmental Goals. GAO-07-370T, January 17, 2007 (11 pages).
- Food Stamp Program: Payment Errors and Trafficking Have Declined despite Increased Program Participation. GAO-07-422T, January 31, 2007 (24 pages).
Budget and Spending
- Long-Term Budget Outlook: Deficits Matter--Saving Our Future Requires Tough Choices Today. GAO-07-389T, January 23, 2007 (21 pages).
- Long-Term Budget Outlook: Saving Our Future Requires Tough Choices Today. GAO-07-342T, January 11, 2007 (18 pages).
- Understanding Similarities and Differences between Accrual and Cash Deficits: Update for Fiscal Year 2006. GAO-07-341SP, January 22, 2007 (4 pages).
- Budget Issues: FEMA Needs Adequate Data, Plans, and Systems to Effectively Manage Resources for Day-to-Day Operations. GAO-07-139, January 19, 2007 (33 pages).
- Hurricanes Katrina and Rita Disaster Relief: Prevention Is the Key to Minimizing Fraud, Waste, and Abuse in Recovery Efforts. GAO-07-418T, January 29, 2007 (12 pages).
- Poverty In America: Consequences for Individuals and the Economy. GAO-07-343T, January 24, 2007 (22 pages).
- Poverty in America: Economic Research Shows Adverse Impacts on Health Status and Other Social Conditions as well as the Economic Growth Rate. GAO-07-344, January 24, 2007 (30 pages).
- Highlights of a GAO Forum: Global Competitiveness: Implications for the Nation's Higher Education System. GAO-07-135SP, January 23, 2007 (22 pages).
- Federal Disability Assistance: Stronger Federal Oversight Could Help Assure Multiple Programs' Accountability. GAO-07-236, January 26, 2007 (43 pages).
- Trade Adjustment Assistance: New Program for Farmers Provides Some Assistance, but Has Had Limited Participation and Low Program Expenditures. GAO-07-201, December 18, 2006 (48 pages).
- Department of Energy: Key Challenges Remain for Developing and Deploying Advanced Energy Technologies to Meet Future Needs. GAO-07-106, December 20, 2006 (68 pages).
- Human Capital: Retirements and Anticipated New Reactor Applications Will Challenge NRC's Workforce. GAO-07-105, January 17, 2007 (69 pages).
- National Nuclear Security Administration: Security and Management Improvements Can Enhance Implementation of the NNSA Act. GAO-07-428T, January 31, 2007 (11 pages).
- Oil and Gas Royalties: Royalty Relief Will Likely Cost the Government Billions, but the Final Costs Have Yet to Be Determined. GAO-07-369T, January 18, 2007 (13 pages).
- Yucca Mountain Project: Information on Estimated Costs to Respond to Employee E-Mails That Raised Questions about Quality Assurance. GAO-07-297R, January 19, 2007 (30 pages).
- Recycling: Additional Efforts Could Increase Municipal Recycling. GAO-07-37, December 29, 2006 (46 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the National Woman's Relief Corps, Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic, Inc., for Fiscal Years 2005 and 2004. GAO-07-329R, January 26, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Navy Club of the United States of America for Fiscal Year 2005. GAO-07-323R, January 26, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association for Fiscal Year 2005. GAO-07-326R, January 26, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Vietnam Veterans of America, Inc., for Fiscal Year 2005. GAO-07-324R, January 26, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Reports for the Air Force Sergeants Association for Fiscal Years 2006 and 2005. GAO-07-327R, January 26, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Reports for the American Council of Learned Societies for Fiscal Years 2003-2005. GAO-07-328R, January 26, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Reports for the Gold Star Wives of America, Inc., for Fiscal Years 2006 and 2005. GAO-07-325R, January 26, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Reports for the Legion of Valor of the United States of America, Inc., for Fiscal Years 2006 and 2005. GAO-07-322R, January 26, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federal Employees Health Benefits Program: Premium Growth Has Recently Slowed, and Varies among Participating Plans. GAO-07-141, December 22, 2006 (27 pages).
- High Risk Series: An Update. GAO-07-310, January 31, 2007 (92 pages).
- Indian Issues: The Office of the Special Trustee Has Implemented Several Key Trust Reforms Required by the 1994 Act, but Important Decisions about Its Future Remain. GAO-07-104, December 8, 2006 (39 pages).
- Office of Personnel Management: Key Lessons Learned to Date for Strengthening Capacity to Lead and Implement Human Capital Reforms. GAO-07-90, January 19, 2007 (48 pages).
- U.S. Government Accountability Office: Performance and Accountability Highlights: Fiscal Year 2006. GAO-07-3SP, January 30, 2007 (52 pages).
- Childhood Obesity: Factors Affecting Physical Activity. GAO-07-260R, December 6, 2006 (25 pages).
- Hospital Accreditation: Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations' Relationship with Its Affiliate. GAO-07-79, December 15, 2006 (37 pages).
- Medicaid Outpatient Drugs: Estimated 2007 Federal Upper Limits for Reimbursement Compared with Retail Pharmacy Acquisition Costs. GAO-07-239R, December 22, 2006 (29 pages).
- Medical Devices: Status of FDA's Program for Inspections by Accredited Organizations. GAO-07-157, January 5, 2007 (22 pages).
- Prescription Drugs: An Overview of Approaches to Negotiate Drug Prices Used by Other Countries and U.S. Private Payers and Federal Programs. GAO-07-358T, January 11, 2007 (17 pages).
- Homeland Security: Progress Has Been Made to Address the Vulnerabilities Exposed by 9/11, but Continued Federal Action Is Needed to Further Mitigate Security Risks. GAO-07-375, January 24, 2007 (114 pages).
- National Nuclear Security Administration: Additional Actions Needed to Improve Management of the Nation's Nuclear Programs. GAO-07-36, January 19, 2007 (68 pages).
- Securing, Stabilizing, and Rebuilding Iraq: GAO Audit Approach and Findings. GAO-07-385T, January 18, 2007 (15 pages).
- Securing, Stabilizing, and Rebuilding Iraq: Key Issues for Congressional Oversight. GAO-07-308SP, January 9, 2007 (114 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- U.S. Office of Special Counsel's Procedures for Assigning Incoming Cases to and within Organizational Units. GAO-07-263R, January 12, 2007 (15 pages).
- Chemical Demilitarization: Actions Needed to Improve the Reliability of the Army's Cost Comparison Analysis for Treatment and Disposal Options for Newport's VX Hydrolysate. GAO-07-240R, January 26, 2007 (26 pages).
- Contract Management: Proteges Value DOD's Mentor-Protege Program, but Annual Reporting to Congress Needs Improvement. GAO-07-151, January 31, 2007 (34 pages).
- DOD's High-Risk Areas: Progress Made Implementing Supply Chain Management Recommendations, but Full Extent of Improvement Unknown. GAO-07-234, January 17, 2007 (159 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: DOD Needs to Exert Management and Oversight to Better Control Acquisition of Services. GAO-07-359T, January 17, 2007 (15 pages).
- Defense Logistics: Preliminary Observations on the Army's Implementation of Its Equipment Reset Strategies. GAO-07-439T, January 31, 2007 (13 pages).
- Force Structure: Joint Seabasing Would Benefit from a Comprehensive Management Approach and Rigorous Experimentation before Services Spend Billions on New Capabilities. GAO-07-211, January 26, 2007 (44 pages).
- Military Base Closures: Opportunities Exist to Improve Environmental Cleanup Cost Reporting and to Expedite Transfer of Unneeded Property. GAO-07-166, January 30, 2007 (50 pages).
- Military Personnel: DOD Needs to Provide a Better Link between Its Defense Strategy and Military Personnel Requirements. GAO-07-397T, January 30, 2007 (17 pages).
- Reserve Forces: Actions Needed to Identify National Guard Domestic Equipment Requirements and Readiness. GAO-07-60, January 26, 2007 (54 pages).
- Wildland Fire Management: Lack of a Cohesive Strategy Hinders Agencies' Cost-Containment Efforts. GAO-07-427T, January 30, 2007 (13 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Tax Compliance: Multiple Approaches Are Needed to Reduce the Tax Gap. GAO-07-391T, January 23, 2007 (21 pages).
- Tax Policy: New Markets Tax Credit Appears to Increase Investment by Investors in Low-Income Communities, but Opportunities Exist to Better Monitor Compliance. GAO-07-296, January 31, 2007 (79 pages).
- Intercity Passenger Rail: Highlights of GAO Report on Need for National Policy and Strategies to Maximize Public Benefits from Federal Expenditures. GAO-07-382R, January 18, 2007 (29 pages).
- Passenger Rail Security: Enhanced Federal Leadership Needed to Prioritize and Guide Security Efforts. GAO-07-225T, January 18, 2007 (27 pages).
- Rail Safety: The Federal Railroad Administration Is Better Targeting Its Oversight, but Needs to Assess the Impact of Its Efforts. GAO-07-390T, January 30, 2007 (15 pages).
- Rail Safety: The Federal Railroad Administration Is Taking Steps to Better Target Its Oversight, but Assessment of Results Is Needed to Determine Impact. GAO-07-149, January 26, 2007 (65 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- 3SG Corporation. B-298957, January 5, 2007 (5 pages).
- Aeronautical Instrument & Radio Company. B-298582.2, B-298582.3, January 10, 2007 (7 pages).
- Alaska Structures, Inc.--Costs. B-298575.4, January 22, 2007 (8 pages).
- Allmond & Company. B-298946, January 9, 2007 (3 pages).
- B&S Transport, Inc.. B-299144, January 22, 2007 (4 pages).
- Barnes Aerospace Group. B-298864, B-298864.2, December 26, 2006 (15 pages).
- Compunetix, Inc.. B-298489.4, B-298489.5, January 12, 2007 (8 pages).
- Continental Staffing, Inc.. B-299054, January 29, 2007 (7 pages).
- Encompass Group, LLC. B-299092, December 22, 2006 (4 pages).
- Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration--Retention of Court-Ordered Restitution. B-308476, December 20, 2007 (5 pages).
- Foresight Science & Technology, Inc.. B-297910.2, B-297910.3, November 30, 2006 (6 pages).
- Gear Wizzard, Inc.. B-298993, January 11, 2007 (3 pages).
- Indtai Inc.. B-298432.3, January 17, 2007 (5 pages).
- Joint Venture Penauillie Italia S.p.A.; Cofathec S.p.A.; SEB.CO S.a.s.; CO.PEL.S.a.s.. B-298865, B-298865.2, January 3, 2007 (8 pages).
- Margni, Inc.. B-299037, January 26, 2007 (5 pages).
- Midland Supply, Inc.. B-298720, B-298720.2, November 29, 2006 (6 pages).
- NOAA--Reimbursing Mileage for Commuting Expenses for On-Call Emergencies. B-307918, December 20, 2006 (6 pages).
- Partnership for Response and Recovery. B-298443.4, December 18, 2006 (4 pages).
- Patent and Trademark Office--High-speed Internet Access in Employees' Homes. B-308044, January 10, 2007 (5 pages).
- Quimba Software. B-299000, January 18, 2007 (5 pages).
- Raith Engineering and Manufacturing Company, W.L.L.. B-298333.3, January 9, 2007 (4 pages).
- Smiths Detection, Inc.. B-298838, B-298838.2, December 22, 2006 (13 pages).
- United States Capitol Police--Current Rate for Operations Under the 2007 Continuing Resolution. B-308773, January 11, 2007 (7 pages).
- ViroMed Laboratories. B-298931, December 20, 2006 (4 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Labor, Office of Workers' Compensation Programs: Performance of Functions; Claims for Compensation Under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act of 2000, as Amended. GAO-07-330R, January 11, 2007 (4 pages).
- Environmental Protection Agency: Oil Pollution Prevention; Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure Plan Requirements--Amendments. GAO-07-303R, January 9, 2007 (4 pages).
- Securities and Exchange Commission: Internal Control Over Financial Reporting in Exchange Act Periodic Reports of Non-Accelerated Filers and Newly Public Companies. GAO-07-305R, January 4, 2007 (3 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.