GAO Month in Review February 2007
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Agriculture and Food
- Federal Oversight of Food Safety: High-Risk Designation Can Bring Needed Attention to Fragmented System. GAO-07-449T, February 8, 2007 (15 pages).
Budget and Spending
- Fiscal Stewardship: A Critical Challenge Facing Our Nation. GAO-07-362SP, January 31, 2007 (18 pages).
- The Nation's Long-Term Fiscal Outlook: January 2007 Update. GAO-07-510R, February 23, 2007 (8 pages).
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Small Business Administration: Additional Steps Needed to Enhance Agency Preparedness for Future Disasters. GAO-07-114, February 14, 2007 (41 pages).
- Small Business Administration: Response to the Gulf Coast Hurricanes Highlights Need for Enhanced Disaster Preparedness. GAO-07-484T, February 14, 2007 (10 pages).
- Hurricanes Katrina and Rita: Federal Actions Could Enhance Preparedness of Certain State-Administered Federal Support Programs. GAO-07-219, February 7, 2007 (65 pages).
- Youthbuild Program: Analysis of Outcome Data Needed to Determine Long-Term Benefits. GAO-07-82, February 28, 2007 (36 pages).
- Health Careers Opportunity Program: Process for Awarding Competitive Grants Included Independent Review. GAO-07-137, February 2, 2007 (30 pages).
- Highlights of a GAO Forum: Engaging and Retaining Older Workers. GAO-07-438SP, February 28, 2007 (21 pages).
- Older Workers: Some Best Practices and Strategies for Engaging and Retaining Older Workers. GAO-07-433T, February 28, 2007 (13 pages).
- Advanced Energy Technologies: Key Challenges to Their Development and Deployment. GAO-07-550T, February 28, 2007 (11 pages).
- Crude Oil: California Crude Oil Price Fluctuations Are Consistent with Broader Market Trends. GAO-07-315, January 19, 2007 (25 pages).
- Environmental Information: EPA Actions Could Reduce the Availability of Environmental Information to the Public. GAO-07-464T, February 6, 2007 (32 pages).
- Leaking Underground Storage Tanks: EPA Should Take Steps to Better Ensure the Effective Use of Public Funding for Cleanups. GAO-07-152, February 8, 2007 (106 pages).
- Deposit Insurance: Assessment of Regulators' Use of Prompt Corrective Action Provisions and FDIC's New Deposit Insurance System. GAO-07-242, February 15, 2007 (62 pages).
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation: Human Capital and Risk Assessment Programs Appear Sound, but Evaluations of Their Effectiveness Should Be Improved. GAO-07-255, February 15, 2007 (66 pages).
- Risk-Based Capital: Bank Regulators Need to Improve Transparency and Overcome Impediments to Finalizing the Proposed Basel II Framework. GAO-07-253, February 15, 2007 (102 pages).
- Financial Audit: Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation Funds' 2006 and 2005 Financial Statements. GAO-07-371, February 13, 2007 (37 pages).
- Government Auditing Standards: January 2007 Revision. GAO-07-162G, January 31, 2007 (206 pages).
- Office of Special Trustee for American Indians: Financial Statement Audit Recommendations and the Audit Follow-Up Process. GAO-07-295R, January 19, 2007 (27 pages).
- Tobacco Settlement: States' Allocations of Payments from Tobacco Companies for Fiscal Years 2000 through 2005. GAO-07-534T, February 27, 2007 (14 pages).
- Capitol Visitor Center: Update on Status of Project's Schedule and Cost as of February 16, 2007. GAO-07-507T, February 16, 2007 (11 pages).
- Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands: Serious Economic, Fiscal, and Accountability Challenges. GAO-07-436T, February 8, 2007 (23 pages).
- District of Columbia: Procurement System Needs Major Reform. GAO-07-159, January 19, 2007 (66 pages).
- Freedom of Information Act: Processing Trends Show Importance of Improvement Plans. GAO-07-491T, February 14, 2007 (44 pages).
- Improper Payments: Posthearing Responses on a December 5, 2006, Hearing to Assess the Improper Payments Information Act of 2002. GAO-07-533R, February 27, 2007 (4 pages).
- Selected Agencies Use of Criminal Background Checks for Determining Responsibility. GAO-07-215R, January 12, 2007 (28 pages).
- U.S. Postal Service: Vulnerability to Fluctuating Fuel Prices Requires Improved Tracking and Monitoring of Consumption Information. GAO-07-244, February 16, 2007 (53 pages).
- Children's Health Insurance: State Experiences in Implementing SCHIP and Considerations for Reauthorization. GAO-07-447T, February 1, 2007 (39 pages).
- Children's Health Insurance: States' SCHIP Enrollment and Spending Experiences and Considerations for Reauthorization. GAO-07-501T, February 15, 2007 (44 pages).
- Health Care Spending: Public Payers Face Burden of Entitlement Program Growth, While All Payers Face Rising Prices and Increasing Use of Services. GAO-07-497T, February 15, 2007 (11 pages).
- Health Information Technology: Early Efforts Initiated but Comprehensive Privacy Approach Needed for National Strategy. GAO-07-238, January 10, 2007 (52 pages).
- Health Information Technology: Early Efforts Initiated but Comprehensive Privacy Approach Needed for National Strategy. GAO-07-400T, February 1, 2007 (19 pages).
- Hurricane Katrina: Allocation and Use of $2 Billion for Medicaid and Other Health Care Needs. GAO-07-67, February 28, 2007 (51 pages).
- Prescription Drugs: Oversight of Drug Pricing in Federal Programs. GAO-07-481T, February 9, 2007 (13 pages).
- Biological Research Laboratories: Issues Associated with the Expansion of Laboratories Funded by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. GAO-07-333R, February 22, 2007 (21 pages).
- Border Security: US-VISIT Program Faces Strategic, Operational, and Technological Challenges at Land Ports of Entry. GAO-07-378T, January 31, 2007 (29 pages).
- Homeland Security Grants: Observations on Process DHS Used to Allocate Funds to Selected Urban Areas. GAO-07-381R, February 7, 2007 (49 pages).
- Homeland Security: Applying Risk Management Principles to Guide Federal Investments. GAO-07-386T, February 7, 2007 (37 pages).
- Homeland Security: Management and Programmatic Challenges Facing the Department of Homeland Security. GAO-07-398T, February 6, 2007 (31 pages).
- Homeland Security: Management and Programmatic Challenges Facing the Department of Homeland Security. GAO-07-452T, February 7, 2007 (31 pages).
- Homeland Security: Observations on the Department of Homeland Security's Acquisition Organization and on the Coast Guard's Deepwater Program. GAO-07-453T, February 8, 2007 (18 pages).
- Homeland Security: Planned Expenditures for U.S. Visitor and Immigrant Status Program Need to Be Adequately Defined and Justified. GAO-07-278, February 14, 2007 (138 pages).
- Homeland Security: US-VISIT Has Not Fully Met Expectations and Longstanding Program Management Challenges Need to Be Addressed. GAO-07-499T, February 16, 2007 (36 pages).
- Secure Border Initiative: SBInet Expenditure Plan Needs to Better Support Oversight and Accountability. GAO-07-309, February 15, 2007 (65 pages).
- Secure Border Initiative: SBInet Planning and Management Improvements Needed to Control Risks. GAO-07-504T, February 27, 2007 (15 pages).
- Employee Benefits Security Administration: Enforcement Improvements Made but Additional Actions Could Further Enhance Pension Plan Oversight. GAO-07-22, January 18, 2007 (48 pages).
- Telecommunications: Issues Related to the Structure and Funding of Public Television. GAO-07-150, January 19, 2007 (73 pages).
- Foreign Assistance: USAID Signature Tsunami Reconstruction Efforts in Indonesia and Sri Lanka Exceed Initial Cost and Schedule Estimates, and Face Further Risks. GAO-07-357, February 28, 2007 (47 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: Reconstruction Progress Hindered by Contracting, Security, and Capacity Challenges. GAO-07-426T, February 15, 2007 (28 pages).
- State Department: State Has Initiated a More Systematic Approach for Managing Its Aviation Fleet. GAO-07-264, February 2, 2007 (36 pages).
- Update on the United Nations' Capital Master Plan. GAO-07-414R, February 15, 2007 (10 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Office of Special Counsel Needs to Follow Structured Life Cycle Management Practices for Its Case Tracking System. GAO-07-318R, February 16, 2007 (25 pages).
- Chemical and Biological Defense: Management Actions Are Needed to Close the Gap between Army Chemical Unit Preparedness and Stated National Priorities. GAO-07-143, January 19, 2007 (48 pages).
- Chemical and Biological Defense: Updated Intelligence, Clear Guidance, and Consistent Priorities Needed to Guide Investments in Collective Protection. GAO-07-113, January 19, 2007 (49 pages).
- Defense Logistics: Improved Oversight and Increased Coordination Needed to Ensure Viability of the Army's Prepositioning Strategy. GAO-07-144, February 15, 2007 (44 pages).
- Defense Management: DLA Has Made Progress in Improving Prime Vendor Program, but Has Not Yet Completed All Corrective Actions. GAO-07-396R, February 26, 2007 (16 pages).
- Military Health: Increased TRICARE Eligibility for Reservists Presents Educational Challenges. GAO-07-195, February 12, 2007 (33 pages).
- Military Personnel: Additional Actions Needed to Improve Oversight of Reserve Employment Issues. GAO-07-259, February 8, 2007 (74 pages).
- Military Personnel: Strategic Plan Needed to Address Army's Emerging Officer Accession and Retention Challenges. GAO-07-224, January 19, 2007 (57 pages).
- Department of the Interior: Major Management Challenges. GAO-07-502T, February 16, 2007 (31 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- NASA Procurement: Use of Award Fees for Achieving Program Outcomes Should Be Improved. GAO-07-58, January 17, 2007 (29 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Business Systems Modernization: Internal Revenue Service's Fiscal Year 2007 Expenditure Plan. GAO-07-247, February 15, 2007 (49 pages).
- Tax Compliance: Multiple Approaches Are Needed to Reduce the Tax Gap. GAO-07-488T, February 16, 2007 (23 pages).
- Aviation Security: Progress Made in Systematic Planning to Guide Key Investment Decisions, but More Work Remains. GAO-07-448T, February 13, 2007 (58 pages).
- Aviation Security: TSA's Staffing Allocation Model Is Useful for Allocating Staff among Airports, but Its Assumptions Should Be Systematically Reassessed. GAO-07-299, February 28, 2007 (90 pages).
- Coast Guard: Coast Guard Efforts to Improve Management and Address Operational Challenges in the Deepwater Program. GAO-07-460T, February 14, 2007 (16 pages).
- Coast Guard: Preliminary Observations on Deepwater Program Assets and Management Challenges. GAO-07-446T, February 15, 2007 (26 pages).
- Federal Aviation Administration: Challenges Facing the Agency in Fiscal Year 2008 and Beyond. GAO-07-490T, February 14, 2007 (23 pages).
- Highway Emergency Relief: Reexamination Needed to Address Fiscal Imbalance and Long-term Sustainability. GAO-07-245, February 23, 2007 (60 pages).
- Passenger Rail Security: Federal Strategy and Enhanced Coordination Needed to Prioritize and Guide Security Efforts. GAO-07-442T, February 6, 2007 (29 pages).
- Passenger Rail Security: Federal Strategy and Enhanced Coordination Needed to Prioritize and Guide Security Efforts. GAO-07-459T, February 13, 2007 (30 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Advanced Technology Systems, Inc.. B-298854, B-298854.2, December 29, 2006 (10 pages).
- Alutiiq Global Solutions. B-299088, B-299088.2, February 6, 2007 (10 pages).
- Caddell Construction Company, Inc.. B-298949, January 10, 2007 (6 pages).
- Delaware Resource Group of Oklahoma, LLC. B-299165, February 26, 2007 (3 pages).
- Fantastic Data. B-299076, February 5, 2007 (6 pages).
- Fantastic Data. B-299083, February 5, 2007 (5 pages).
- Free&Ben Inc.. B-299156, February 20, 2007 (4 pages).
- Freedom Lift Corporation. B-298772.2, January 25, 2007 (8 pages).
- Global Communications Solutions, Inc.. B-299044, B-299044.2, January 29, 2007 (4 pages).
- Hydroid LLC. B-299072, January 31, 2007 (5 pages).
- ITS Services, Inc.. B-298941, B-298941.2, January 10, 2007 (8 pages).
- ITT Electronic Systems, Radar Systems--Gilfillan. B-299150, B-299150.2, B-299150.3, B-299150.4, B-299150.5, February 2, 2007 (3 pages).
- James C. Trump. B-299370, February 20, 2007 (4 pages).
- L-3 Communications Corporation. B-299014, B-299014.2, January 16, 2007 (9 pages).
- Palmetto GBA, LLC. B-298962, B-298962.2, January 16, 2007 (15 pages).
- Para Scientific Company. B-299046.2, February 13, 2007 (5 pages).
- Planning And Development Collaborative International. B-299041, January 24, 2007 (12 pages).
- SEI Group, Inc.. B-299108, February 6, 2007 (4 pages).
- Stewart Distributors. B-298975, January 17, 2007 (5 pages).
- Synectic Solutions, Inc.. B-299086, February 7, 2007 (11 pages).
- U.S. Dynamics Corporation. B-298889, December 19, 2006 (5 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Marketing Service: Milk in the Northeast and Other Marketing Areas; Interim Order Amending the Orders. GAO-07-440R, February 6, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Homeland Security, Transportation Security Administration, U.S. Coast Guard: Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) Implementation in the Maritime Sector; Hazardous Materials Endorsement for a Commercial Driver's License. GAO-07-419R, February 1, 2007 (4 pages).
- Securities and Exchange Commission: Internet Availability of Proxy Materials. GAO-07-450R, February 12, 2007 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.