GAO Month in Review April 2007
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Agriculture and Food
- Federal Oversight of Food Safety: High-Risk Designation Can Bring Attention to Limitations in the Government's Food Recall Programs. GAO-07-785T, April 24, 2007 (9 pages).
Budget and Spending
- Fiscal Year 2008 Budget Request: U.S. Government Accountability Office. GAO-07-543T, April 19, 2007 (22 pages).
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Bankruptcy Reform: Value of Credit Counseling Requirement Is Not Clear. GAO-07-203, April 6, 2007 (54 pages).
- Title Insurance: Actions Needed to Improve Oversight of the Title Industry and Better Protect Consumers. GAO-07-401, April 13, 2007 (68 pages).
- Gulf Coast Rebuilding: Preliminary Observations on Progress to Date and Challenges for the Future. GAO-07-574T, April 12, 2007 (16 pages).
- Hurricane Katrina: Agency Contracting Data Should Be More Complete Regarding Subcontracting Opportunities for Small Business. GAO-07-698T, April 12, 2007 (12 pages).
- No Child Left Behind Act: Education Actions May Help Improve Implementation and Evaluation of Supplemental Educational Services. GAO-07-738T, April 18, 2007 (21 pages).
- Employer-Sponsored Health and Retirement Benefits: Efforts to Control Employer Costs and the Implications for Workers. GAO-07-355, March 30, 2007 (49 pages).
- Department of Energy: Observations on Actions to Implement the New Loan Guarantee Program for Innovative Technologies. GAO-07-798T, April 24, 2007 (6 pages).
- Oil and Gas Royalties: Royalty Relief Will Cost the Government Billions of Dollars but Uncertainty Over Future Energy Prices and Production Levels Make Precise Estimates Impossible at this Time. GAO-07-590R, April 12, 2007 (14 pages).
- Climate Change: Financial Risks to Federal and Private Insurers in Coming Decades Are Potentially Significant. GAO-07-285, March 16, 2007 (68 pages).
- Climate Change: Financial Risks to Federal and Private Insurers in Coming Decades are Potentially Significant. GAO-07-760T, April 19, 2007 (18 pages).
- Legislative Branch: Energy Audits are Key to Strategy for Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions. GAO-07-516, April 25, 2007 (47 pages).
- Perchlorate: EPA Does Not Systematically Track Incidents of Contamination. GAO-07-797T, April 25, 2007 (12 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the American GI Forum of the United States for Fiscal Year 2005. GAO-07-663R, April 5, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the American National Theatre and Academy for Fiscal Years 2004 and 2003. GAO-07-665R, April 5, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Disabled American Veterans for Fiscal Year 2005. GAO-07-667R, April 5, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Former Members of Congress for Fiscal Year 2005. GAO-07-669R, April 5, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Jewish War Veterans of the United States of America, Inc., for Fiscal Years 2005 and 2004. GAO-07-668R, April 5, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Little League Baseball, Inc., for Fiscal Years 2005 and 2004. GAO-07-670R, April 5, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the National Fund for Medical Education for Fiscal Year 2004. GAO-07-664R, April 5, 2007 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Reports for the American Historical Association for Fiscal Years 2002-2004. GAO-07-666R, April 5, 2007 (2 pages).
- Implementation of OMB Circular No. A-76 at Science Agencies. GAO-07-434R, March 16, 2007 (24 pages).
- Inspectors General: Activities of the Department of State Office of Inspector General. GAO-07-138, March 23, 2007 (43 pages).
- Internal Control: Improvements Needed in SEC's Accounting and Operational Procedures. GAO-07-482R, April 3, 2007 (20 pages).
- 2010 Census: Census Bureau Should Refine Recruiting and Hiring Efforts and Enhance Training of Temporary Field Staff. GAO-07-361, April 27, 2007 (61 pages).
- 2010 Census: Design Shows Progress, but Managing Technology Acquisitions, Temporary Field Staff, and Gulf Region Enumeration Require Attention. GAO-07-779T, April 24, 2007 (22 pages).
- Capitol Visitor Center: Update on Status of Project's Schedule and Cost as of April 17, 2007. GAO-07-755T, April 24, 2007 (9 pages).
- Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands: Serious Economic, Fiscal, and Accountability Challenges. GAO-07-746T, April 19, 2007 (17 pages).
- Elections: All Levels of Government Are Needed to Address Electronic Voting System Challenges. GAO-07-741T, April 18, 2007 (51 pages).
- Federal Real Property: Progress Made Toward Addressing Problems, but Underlying Obstacles Continue to Hamper Reform. GAO-07-349, April 13, 2007 (82 pages).
- Federal Transit Benefits Program: Ineffective Controls Result in Fraud and Abuse by Federal Workers. GAO-07-724T, April 24, 2007 (26 pages).
- Smithsonian Institution: Funding for Real Property Needs Remains a Challenge. GAO-07-725T, April 11, 2007 (11 pages).
- U.S. Postal Service: Postal Reform Law Provides Opportunities to Address Postal Challenges. GAO-07-684T, April 17, 2007 (31 pages).
- U.S. Postal Service: Postal Reform Law Provides Opportunities to Address Postal Challenges. GAO-07-685T, April 19, 2007 (31 pages).
- Medicaid Financing: Federal Oversight Initiative Is Consistent with Medicaid Payment Principles but Needs Greater Transparency. GAO-07-214, March 30, 2007 (49 pages).
- Medicaid Long-Term Care: Few Transferred Assets before Applying for Nursing Home Coverage; Impact of Deficit Reduction Act on Eligibility Is Uncertain. GAO-07-280, March 26, 2007 (55 pages).
- Medicare: Focus on Physician Practice Patterns Can Lead to Greater Program Efficiency. GAO-07-307, April 30, 2007 (47 pages).
- Nursing Homes: Efforts to Strengthen Federal Enforcement Have Not Deterred Some Homes from Repeatedly Harming Residents. GAO-07-241, March 26, 2007 (93 pages).
- Nursing Workforce: HHS Needs Methodology to Identify Facilities with a Critical Shortage of Nurses. GAO-07-492R, April 30, 2007 (27 pages).
- Public Health and Hospital Emergency Preparedness Programs: Evolution of Performance Measurement Systems to Measure Progress. GAO-07-485R, March 23, 2007 (20 pages).
- Aviation Security: Cost Estimates Related to TSA Funding of Checked Baggage Screening Systems at Los Angeles and Ontario Airports. GAO-07-445, March 30, 2007 (35 pages).
- Aviation Security: TSA's Change to Its Prohibited Items List Has Not Resulted in Any Reported Security Incidents, but the Impact of the Change on Screening Operations Is Inconclusive. GAO-07-623R, April 25, 2007 (18 pages).
- Combating Nuclear Smuggling: DNDO Has Not Yet Collected Most of the National Laboratories' Test Results on Radiation Portal Monitors in Support of DNDO's Testing and Development Program. GAO-07-347R, March 9, 2007 (13 pages).
- DHS Multi-Agency Operation Centers Would Benefit from Taking Further Steps to Enhance Collaboration and Coordination. GAO-07-686R, April 5, 2007 (30 pages).
- Department of Homeland Security: Observations on GAO Access to Information on Programs and Activities. GAO-07-700T, April 25, 2007 (14 pages).
- First Responders: Much Work Remains to Improve Communications Interoperability. GAO-07-301, April 2, 2007 (69 pages).
- Homeland Security: Information on Training New Border Patrol Agents. GAO-07-540R, March 30, 2007 (29 pages).
- Maritime Security: Observations on Selected Aspects of the SAFE Port Act. GAO-07-754T, April 26, 2007 (41 pages).
- Transportation Security: DHS Efforts to Eliminate Redundant Background Check Investigations. GAO-07-756, April 26, 2007 (46 pages).
- Transportation Security: TSA Has Made Progress in Implementing the Transportation Worker Identification Credential Program, but Challenges Remain. GAO-07-681T, April 12, 2007 (18 pages).
- Project-Based Rental Assistance: HUD Should Update Its Policies and Procedures to Keep Pace with the Changing Housing Market. GAO-07-290, April 11, 2007 (55 pages).
- Disability Programs: SSA Has Taken Steps to Address Conflicting Court Decisions, but Needs to Manage Data Better on the Increasing Number of Court Remands. GAO-07-331, April 5, 2007 (46 pages).
- Information Security: Persistent Weaknesses Highlight Need for Further Improvement. GAO-07-751T, April 19, 2007 (13 pages).
- Information Technology: DHS Needs to Fully Define and Implement Policies and Procedures for Effectively Managing Investments. GAO-07-424, April 27, 2007 (38 pages).
- Information Technology: Immigration and Customs Enforcement Needs to Fully Address Significant Infrastructure Modernization Program Management Weaknesses. GAO-07-565, April 27, 2007 (67 pages).
- Privacy: Lessons Learned about Data Breach Notification. GAO-07-657, April 30, 2007 (74 pages).
- Foreign Assistance: Various Challenges Impede the Efficiency and Effectiveness of U.S. Food Aid. GAO-07-560, April 13, 2007 (99 pages).
- Global Health: USAID Supported a Wide Range of Child and Maternal Health Activities, but Lacked Detailed Spending Data and a Proven Method for Sharing Best Practices. GAO-07-486, April 20, 2007 (59 pages).
- International Organizations: Assistance Programs Constrained in Burma. GAO-07-457, April 6, 2007 (41 pages).
- Nuclear Nonproliferation: Progress Made in Improving Security at Russian Nuclear Sites, but the Long-term Sustainability of U.S.-Funded Security Upgrades Is Uncertain. GAO-07-404, February 28, 2007 (59 pages).
- Stabilizing and Rebuilding Iraq: Conditions in Iraq Are Conducive to Fraud, Waste, and Abuse. GAO-07-525T, April 23, 2007 (27 pages).
- U.S. Public Diplomacy: Strategic Planning Efforts Have Improved, but Agencies Face Significant Implementation Challenges. GAO-07-795T, April 26, 2007 (20 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Bureau of Justice Statistics: Quality Guidelines Generally Followed for Police-Public Contact Surveys, but Opportunities Exist to Help Assure Agency Independence. GAO-07-340, March 30, 2007 (52 pages).
- Customs Revenue: Customs and Border Protection Needs to Improve Workforce Planning and Accountability. GAO-07-529, April 12, 2007 (44 pages).
- Immigration Benefits: Sixteenth Report Required by the Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act of 1998. GAO-07-796R, April 27, 2007 (5 pages).
- Intellectual Property: Better Data Analysis and Integration Could Help U.S. Customs and Border Protection Improve Border Enforcement Efforts. GAO-07-735, April 26, 2007 (65 pages).
- Intellectual Property: National Enforcement Strategy Needs Stronger Leadership and More Accountability. GAO-07-710T, April 12, 2007 (17 pages).
- Business Systems Modernization: Strategy for Evolving DOD's Business Enterprise Architecture Offers a Conceptual Approach, but Execution Details Are Needed. GAO-07-451, April 16, 2007 (38 pages).
- DOD and VA Outpatient Pharmacy Data: Computable Data Are Exchanged for Some Shared Patients, but Additional Steps Could Facilitate Exchanging These Data for All Shared Patients. GAO-07-554R, April 30, 2007 (42 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Missile Defense Agency's Flexibility Reduces Transparency of Program Cost. GAO-07-799T, April 30, 2007 (15 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Missile Defense Needs a Better Balance between Flexibility and Accountability. GAO-07-727T, April 11, 2007 (14 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Status and Challenges of Joint Forces Command's Limited Acquisition Authority. GAO-07-546, April 12, 2007 (27 pages).
- Defense Budget: Review of DOD's Report on Budgeting for Fuel Cost Fluctuations. GAO-07-688R, April 26, 2007 (9 pages).
- Defense Inventory: Opportunities Exist to Save Billions by Reducing Air Force's Unneeded Spare Parts Inventory. GAO-07-232, April 27, 2007 (46 pages).
- Defense Logistics: Army and Marine Corps's Individual Body Armor System Issues. GAO-07-662R, April 26, 2007 (17 pages).
- Defense Management: High-Level Leadership Commitment and Actions Are Needed to Address Corrosion Issues. GAO-07-618, April 30, 2007 (34 pages).
- Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance: Preliminary Observations on DOD's Approach to Managing Requirements for New Systems, Existing Assets, and Systems Development. GAO-07-596T, April 19, 2007 (23 pages).
- Missile Defense: Actions Needed to Improve Information for Supporting Future Key Decisions for Boost and Ascent Phase Elements. GAO-07-430, April 17, 2007 (32 pages).
- Tactical Aircraft: DOD Needs a Joint and Integrated Investment Strategy. GAO-07-415, April 2, 2007 (81 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- Space Acquisitions: Actions Needed to Expand and Sustain Use of Best Practices. GAO-07-730T, April 19, 2007 (24 pages).
- An Assessment of Dependent Care Needs of Federal Workers Using the Office of Personnel Management's Survey. GAO-07-437R, March 30, 2007 (47 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- 2007 Tax Filing Season: Interim Results and Updates of Previous Assessments of Paid Preparers and IRS's Modernization and Compliance Research Efforts. GAO-07-720T, April 12, 2007 (25 pages).
- Internal Revenue Service: Interim Results of the 2007 Tax Filing Season and the Fiscal Year 2008 Budget Request. GAO-07-673, April 3, 2007 (36 pages).
- Tax Administration: Telephone Excise Tax Refund Requests Are Fewer Than Projected and Have Had Minimal Impact on IRS Services. GAO-07-695, April 11, 2007 (5 pages).
- Tax Compliance: Thousands of Federal Contractors Abuse the Federal Tax System. GAO-07-742T, April 19, 2007 (15 pages).
- Taxpayer Service: State Experiences Indicate IRS Would Face Challenges Developing an Internet Filing System with Net Benefits. GAO-07-570, April 5, 2007 (58 pages).
- Using Data from the Internal Revenue Service's National Research Program to Identify Potential Opportunities to Reduce the Tax Gap. GAO-07-423R, March 15, 2007 (29 pages).
- Coast Guard: Observations on the Fiscal Year 2008 Budget, Performance, Reorganization, and Related Challenges. GAO-07-489T, April 18, 2007 (39 pages).
- Commercial Aviation: Potential Safety and Capacity Issues Associated with the Introduction of the New A380 Aircraft. GAO-07-483, April 20, 2007 (67 pages).
- Commercial Aviation: Programs and Options for Providing Air Service to Small Communities. GAO-07-793T, April 25, 2007 (46 pages).
- Older Driver Safety: Knowledge Sharing Should Help States Prepare for Increase in Older Driver Population. GAO-07-413, April 11, 2007 (54 pages).
- Older Driver Safety: Survey of States on Their Implementation of Federal Highway Administration Recommendations and Guidelines (GAO-07-517SP), an E-supplement to GAO-07-413. GAO-07-517SP, April 11, 2007 (21 pages).
- VA Student Financial Aid: Actions Needed to Reduce Overlap in Approval Activities. GAO-07-775T, April 19, 2007 (13 pages).
- VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment: Service Contract Management Is Improving, but Challenges Remain. GAO-07-568R, April 23, 2007 (41 pages).
- Veterans Benefits Administration: Progress Made in Long-Term Effort to Replace Benefits Payment System, but Challenges Persist. GAO-07-614, April 27, 2007 (38 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- A-P-T Research, Inc.--Costs. B-298352.3, September 28, 2006 (6 pages).
- AMS Group. B-299369, April 12, 2007 (5 pages).
- Able Business Technologies, Inc.. B-299383, April 19, 2007 (7 pages).
- Alliance Detective & Security Service, Inc.. B-299342, April 13, 2007 (7 pages).
- American Systems Consulting, Inc.. B-298033.4, B-298033.5, March 28, 2007 (10 pages).
- BST Systems, Inc.. B-298761, B-298761.2, December 1, 2006 (10 pages).
- Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.. B-297553, February 15, 2006 (15 pages).
- C. Martin Company, Inc.. B-299382, April 17, 2007 (3 pages).
- Department of Agriculture--Cooperative Agreement for Use of Aircraft. B-308010, April 20, 2007 (10 pages).
- Department of Energy--Title XVII Loan Guarantee Program. B-308715, April 20, 2007 (10 pages).
- Family Entertainment Services, Inc.. B-298047.3, September 20, 2006 (10 pages).
- Global Analytic Information Technology Services, Inc.. B-298840.2, February 6, 2007 (7 pages).
- Global Solutions Network, Inc.. B-299424, April 20, 2007 (2 pages).
- International Filter Manufacturing, Inc.. B-299368, April 10, 2007 (6 pages).
- International Filter Manufacturing, Inc.. B-299407, April 10, 2007 (4 pages).
- J. Womack Enterprises, Inc.. B-299344, April 4, 2007 (10 pages).
- L-3 Communications Titan Corporation. B-299317, B-299317.2, B-299317.3, March 29, 2007 (14 pages).
- LexisNexis, Inc.. B-299381, April 17, 2007 (7 pages).
- Metcalf & Eddy Services, Inc.. B-298421.2, B-298421.3, November 29, 2006 (8 pages).
- Mr. Jeffrey Elmore--Request for Relief of Financial Liability. B-307693, April 12, 2007 (9 pages).
- Northern Sealcoating & Paving, Inc.. B-299393, March 30, 2007 (4 pages).
- Northrop Grumman Systems Corporation. B-298954, B-298954.2, B-298954.3, January 12, 2007 (14 pages).
- PDI Ground Support Systems, Inc.. B-299007, B-299007.2, January 18, 2007 (8 pages).
- Propper International, Inc.. B-297950.3, B-297950.4, B-297950.5, March 19, 2007 (7 pages).
- Shirlington Limousine & Transportation, Inc.. B-299241.2, March 30, 2007 (4 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Agriculture, Commodity Credit Corporation: 2006 Emergency Agricultural Disaster Assistance Programs. GAO-07-511R, April 16, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Agriculture, Farm Service Agency: 2005 Section 32 Hurricane Disaster Programs; 2006 Livestock Assistance Grant Program. GAO-07-715R, April 16, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Commerce; National Telecommunications and Information Administration: Rules to Implement and Administer a Coupon Program for Digital-to-Analog Converter Boxes. GAO-07-726R, April 24, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Competitive Acquisition for Certain Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS) and Other Issues. GAO-07-748R, April 24, 2007 (4 pages).
- Department of Homeland Security: Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards. GAO-07-747R, April 24, 2007 (5 pages).
- Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Electronic Stability Control Systems; Controls and Displays. GAO-07-802R, April 30, 2007 (5 pages).
- Securities and Exchange Commission: Termination of a Foreign Private Issuer's Registration of a Class of Securities Under Section 12(g) and Duty to File Reports Under Section 13(a) or 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. GAO-07-721R, April 18, 2007 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: email@example.com with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.