GAO Month in Review July 2006
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Real Estate Brokerage: Various Factors May Affect Price Competition. GAO-06-1005T, July 25, 2006 (17 pages).
- Individual Disaster Assistance Programs: Framework for Fraud Prevention, Detection, and Prosecution. GAO-06-954T, July 12, 2006 (13 pages).
- Small Business Administration: Actions Needed to Provide More Timely Disaster Assistance. GAO-06-860, July 28, 2006 (51 pages).
- No Child Left Behind Act: Assistance from Education Could Help States Better Measure Progress of Students with Limited English Proficiency. GAO-06-815, July 26, 2006 (69 pages).
- No Child Left Behind Act: States Face Challenges Measuring Academic Growth. GAO-06-948T, July 27, 2006 (20 pages).
- No Child Left Behind Act: States Face Challenges Measuring Academic Growth That Education's Initiatives May Help Address. GAO-06-661, July 17, 2006 (48 pages).
- Nuclear Cleanup of Rocky Flats: DOE Can Use Lessons Learned to Improve Oversight of Other Sites' Cleanup Activities. GAO-06-352, July 10, 2006 (116 pages).
- Renewable Energy: Increased Geothermal Development Will Depend on Overcoming Many Challenges. GAO-06-629, May 24, 2006 (48 pages).
- Renewable Energy: Increased Geothermal Development Will Depend on Overcoming Many Challenges. GAO-06-930T, July 11, 2006 (15 pages).
- Royalty Revenues: Total Revenues Have Not Increased at the Same Pace as Rising Oil and Natural Gas Prices due to Decreasing Production Sold. GAO-06-786R, June 21, 2006 (14 pages).
- Chesapeake Bay Program: Improved Strategies Needed to Better Guide Restoration Efforts. GAO-06-614T, July 13, 2006 (13 pages).
- Clean Air Act: EPA Should Improve the Management of Its Air Toxics Program. GAO-06-669, June 23, 2006 (65 pages).
- Clean Water: Better Information and Targeted Prevention Efforts Could Enhance Spill Management in the St. Clair-Detroit River Corridor. GAO-06-639, June 7, 2006 (74 pages).
- Particulate Matter: EPA Has Started to Address the National Academies' Recommendations on Estimating Health Benefits, but More Progress Is Needed. GAO-06-780, July 17, 2006 (39 pages).
- Particulate Matter: EPA Needs to Make More Progress in Addressing the National Academies' Recommendations on Estimating Health Benefits. GAO-06-992T, July 19, 2006 (9 pages).
- Financial Services Industry: Overall Trends in Management-Level Diversity and Diversity Initiatives, 1993-2004. GAO-06-617, June 1, 2006 (42 pages).
- Financial Services Industry: Overall Trends in Management-Level Diversity and Diversity Initiatives, 1993-2004. GAO-06-843T, July 12, 2006 (14 pages).
- Industrial Loan Corporations: Recent Asset Growth and Commercial Interest Highlight Differences in Regulatory Authority. GAO-06-961T, July 12, 2006 (28 pages).
- Treasury's Bank Enterprise Award Program: Impact on Investments in Distressed Communities Is Difficult to Determine, but Likely Not Significant. GAO-06-824, July 31, 2006 (32 pages).
- Agreed-Upon Procedures: Senate Office of Public Records Revolving Fund Fiscal Years 2003-2005. GAO-06-651R, June 27, 2006 (5 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Big Brothers-Big Sisters of America for Fiscal Year 2004. GAO-06-923R, July 7, 2006 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Catholic War Veterans of the United States of America, Incorporated, for Fiscal Year 2004. GAO-06-925R, July 7, 2006 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Congressional Medal of Honor Society of the United States of America for Fiscal Years 2004 and 2003. GAO-06-924R, July 7, 2006 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Former Members of Congress for Fiscal Year 2004. GAO-06-922R, July 7, 2006 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the Jewish War Veterans, U.S.A., National Memorial, Incorporated, for Fiscal Years 2005 and 2004. GAO-06-927R, July 7, 2006 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation for Fiscal Years 2004 and 2003. GAO-06-921R, July 7, 2006 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the National Ski Patrol System, Incorporated, for Fiscal Years 2005 and 2004. GAO-06-926R, July 7, 2006 (2 pages).
- Financial Audit: Guidance for Auditing Federal Employee and Veteran Benefit Payable Actuarial Estimates. GAO-06-768R, June 29, 2006 (9 pages).
- Financial Management: Implications of Significant Recent and Potential Changes for the Actuarial Soundness of the Department of Defense Survivor Benefit Plan Program. GAO-06-837R, July 26, 2006 (16 pages).
- LOCAL Television Act: Status of Spending for Fiscal Year 2005. GAO-06-858R, July 7, 2006 (5 pages).
- Management Report: Opportunities for Improvements in FDIC's Internal Controls and Accounting Procedures. GAO-06-772R, July 11, 2006 (18 pages).
- 2010 Census: Redesigned Approach Holds Promise, but Census Bureau Needs to Annually Develop and Provide a Comprehensive Project Plan to Monitor Costs. GAO-06-1009T, July 27, 2006 (17 pages).
- Federal Assistance: Illustrative Simulations of Using Statistical Population Estimates for Reallocating Certain Federal Funding. GAO-06-567, June 23, 2006 (37 pages).
- Federal Real Property: Most Public Benefit Conveyances Used as Intended, but Opportunities Exist to Enhance Federal Oversight. GAO-06-511, June 21, 2006 (149 pages).
- Grants Management: Grantees' Concerns with Efforts to Streamline and Simplify Processes. GAO-06-566, July 28, 2006 (37 pages).
- Human Capital: Trends in Executive and Judicial Pay. GAO-06-708, June 22, 2006 (43 pages).
- Indian Issues: BIA's Efforts to Impose Time Frames and Collect Better Data Should Improve the Processing of Land in Trust Applications. GAO-06-781, July 28, 2006 (56 pages).
- NOAA: Next Steps to Strengthen Its Acquisition Function. GAO-06-594, June 7, 2006 (26 pages).
- Purchase Cards: Control Weaknesses Leave DHS Highly Vulnerable to Fraudulent, Improper, and Abusive Activity. GAO-06-957T, July 19, 2006 (31 pages).
- Regulatory Flexibility Act: Congress Should Revisit and Clarify Elements of the Act to Improve Its Effectiveness. GAO-06-998T, July 20, 2006 (13 pages).
- Telecommunications: Full Adoption of Sound Transition Planning Practices by GSA and Selected Agencies Could Improve Planning Efforts. GAO-06-476, June 6, 2006 (58 pages).
- U.S. Postal Service: Delivery Performance Standards, Measurement, and Reporting Need Improvement. GAO-06-733, July 27, 2006 (119 pages).
- Disaster Preparedness: Limitations in Federal Evacuation Assistance for Health Facilities Should be Addressed. GAO-06-826, July 20, 2006 (50 pages).
- Medicaid Financial Management: Steps Taken to Improve Federal Oversight but Other Actions Needed to Sustain Efforts. GAO-06-705, June 22, 2006 (40 pages).
- Medicare Outpatient Payments: Rates for Certain Radioactive Sources Used in Brachytherapy Could Be Set Prospectively. GAO-06-635, July 24, 2006 (28 pages).
- Medicare Part B Drugs: CMS Data Source for Setting Payments Is Practical but Concerns Remain. GAO-06-971T, July 13, 2006 (9 pages).
- Medicare Part D: Prescription Drug Plan Sponsor Call Center Responses Were Prompt, but Not Consistently Accurate and Complete. GAO-06-710, June 30, 2006 (30 pages).
- Medicare Physician Payments: Trends in Service Utilization, Spending, and Fees Prompt Consideration of Alternative Payment Approaches. GAO-06-1008T, July 25, 2006 (19 pages).
- Medicare Physician Services: Use of Services Increasing Nationwide and Relatively Few Beneficiaries Report Major Access Problems. GAO-06-704, July 21, 2006 (61 pages).
- Medicare: CMS's Proposed Approach to Set Hospital Inpatient Payment Appears Promising. GAO-06-880, July 28, 2006 (29 pages).
- Nonprofit Hospital Systems: Survey on Executive Compensation Policies and Practices. GAO-06-907R, June 30, 2006 (63 pages).
- Nutrigenetic Testing: Tests Purchased from Four Web Sites Mislead Consumers. GAO-06-977T, July 27, 2006 (23 pages).
- Aviation Security: TSA Oversight of Checked Baggage Screening Procedures Could Be Strengthened. GAO-06-869, July 28, 2006 (48 pages).
- Border Security: Investigators Transported Radioactive Sources Across Our Nation's Borders at Two Locations. GAO-06-939T, July 5, 2006 (8 pages).
- Border Security: Investigators Transported Radioactive Sources Across Our Nation's Borders at Two Locations. GAO-06-940T, July 7, 2006 (8 pages).
- Homeland Security: Challenges in Creating an Effective Acquisition Organization. GAO-06-1012T, July 27, 2006 (9 pages).
- Homeland Security: Contract Management and Oversight for Visitor and Immigrant Status Program Need to Be Strengthened. GAO-06-404, June 9, 2006 (75 pages).
- Homeland Security: Guidance and Standards Are Needed for Measuring the Effectiveness of Agencies' Facility Protection Efforts. GAO-06-612, May 31, 2006 (68 pages).
- Maritime Security: Information-Sharing Efforts Are Improving. GAO-06-933T, July 10, 2006 (18 pages).
- Transportation Security Administration: Oversight of Explosive Detection Systems Maintenance Contracts Can Be Strengthened. GAO-06-795, July 31, 2006 (51 pages).
- Rental Housing Programs: Excluding Servicemembers' Housing Allowances from Income Determinations Would Increase Eligibility, but Other Factors May Limit Program Use. GAO-06-784, July 31, 2006 (39 pages).
- Baby Boom Generation: Retirement of Baby Boomers Is Unlikely to Precipitate Dramatic Decline in Market Returns, but Broader Risks Threaten Retirement Security. GAO-06-718, July 28, 2006 (64 pages).
- Freedom of Information Act: Preliminary Analysis of Processing Trends Shows Importance of Improvement Plans. GAO-06-1022T, July 26, 2006 (62 pages).
- Information Technology Management: Observations on the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network's (FinCEN's) BSA Direct Retrieval and Sharing (BSA Direct R&S) Project. GAO-06-947R, July 14, 2006 (28 pages).
- Information Technology: Agencies and OMB Should Strengthen Processes for Identifying and Overseeing High Risk Projects. GAO-06-647, June 15, 2006 (70 pages).
- Information Technology: Immigration and Customs Enforcement Is Beginning to Address Infrastructure Modernization Program Weaknesses but Key Improvements Still Needed. GAO-06-823, July 27, 2006 (73 pages).
- Internet Infrastructure: Challenges in Developing a Public/Private Recovery Plan. GAO-06-863T, July 28, 2006 (19 pages).
- Internet Infrastructure: DHS Faces Challenges in Developing a Joint Public/Private Recovery Plan. GAO-06-672, June 16, 2006 (75 pages).
- Internet Protocol Version 6: Federal Government in Early Stages of Transition and Key Challenges Remain. GAO-06-675, June 30, 2006 (25 pages).
- Paperwork Reduction Act: Increase in Estimated Burden Hours Highlights Need for New Approach. GAO-06-974T, July 18, 2006 (31 pages).
- Personal Information: Key Federal Privacy Laws Do Not Require Information Resellers to Safeguard All Sensitive Data. GAO-06-674, June 26, 2006 (70 pages).
- Export Controls: Improvements to Commerce's Dual-Use System Needed to Ensure Protection of U.S. Interests in the Post-9/11 Environment. GAO-06-638, June 26, 2006 (75 pages).
- Millennium Challenge Corporation: Compact Implementation Structures Are Being Established; Framework for Measuring Results Needs Improvement. GAO-06-805, July 28, 2006 (94 pages).
- Overseas Staffing: Rightsizing Approaches Slowly Taking Hold but More Action Needed to Coordinate and Carry Out Efforts. GAO-06-737, June 30, 2006 (67 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: More Comprehensive National Strategy Needed to Help Achieve U.S. Goals. GAO-06-788, July 11, 2006 (54 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: More Comprehensive National Strategy Needed to Help Achieve U.S. Goals and Overcome Challenges. GAO-06-953T, July 11, 2006 (24 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Immigration Enforcement: Benefits and Limitations to Using Earnings Data to Identify Unauthorized Work. GAO-06-814R, July 11, 2006 (15 pages).
- Intellectual Property: Initial Observations on the STOP Initiative and U.S. Border Efforts to Reduce Piracy. GAO-06-1004T, July 26, 2006 (18 pages).
- Contract Management: DOD Vulnerabilities to Contracting Fraud, Waste, and Abuse. GAO-06-838R, July 7, 2006 (25 pages).
- DOD Excess Property: Control Breakdowns Present Significant Security Risk and Continuing Waste and Inefficiency. GAO-06-943, July 25, 2006 (44 pages).
- DOD Excess Property: Control Breakdowns Present Significant Security Risk and Continuing Waste and Inefficiency. GAO-06-981T, July 25, 2006 (10 pages).
- DOD's High-Risk Areas: Challenges Remain to Achieving and Demonstrating Progress in Supply Chain Management. GAO-06-983T, July 25, 2006 (18 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Further Management and Oversight Changes Needed for Efforts to Modernize Cheyenne Mountain Attack Warning Systems. GAO-06-666, July 6, 2006 (38 pages).
- Defense Technologies: DOD's Critical Technologies Lists Rarely Inform Export Control and Other Policy Decisions. GAO-06-793, July 28, 2006 (25 pages).
- Differing Scope and Methodology in GAO and University of California Reports Account for Variations in Cost Estimates for Homosexual Conduct Policy. GAO-06-909R, July 13, 2006 (3 pages).
- Global War on Terrorism: Observations on Funding, Costs, and Future Commitments. GAO-06-885T, July 18, 2006 (19 pages).
- Propulsion Systems for Navy Ships and Submarines. GAO-06-789R, July 6, 2006 (17 pages).
- TRICARE: Enrollment of the Department of Defense's TRICARE Beneficiaries in Medicare Part B. GAO-06-489R, June 30, 2006 (20 pages).
- Tactical Aircraft: Questions Concerning the F-22A's Business Case. GAO-06-991T, July 25, 2006 (8 pages).
- Weapons Acquisition: DOD Should Strengthen Policies for Assessing Technical Data Needs to Support Weapon Systems. GAO-06-839, July 14, 2006 (45 pages).
- Fish and Wildlife Service: Federal Assistance Program Is Making Progress in Addressing Previously Identified Concerns. GAO-06-731R, July 5, 2006 (16 pages).
- Wildland Fire Rehabilitation and Restoration: Forest Service and BLM Could Benefit from Improved Information on Status of Needed Work. GAO-06-670, June 30, 2006 (43 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- NASA's James Webb Space Telescope: Knowledge-Based Acquisition Approach Key to Addressing Program Challenges. GAO-06-634, July 14, 2006 (30 pages).
- NASA: Long-Term Commitment to and Investment in Space Exploration Program Requires More Knowledge. GAO-06-817R, July 17, 2006 (22 pages).
- Weather Forecasting: National Weather Service Is Planning to Improve Service and Gain Efficiency, but Impacts of Potential Changes Are Not Yet Known. GAO-06-792, July 14, 2006 (40 pages).
- Child Support Enforcement: More Focus on Labor Costs and Administrative Cost Audits Could Help Reduce Federal Expenditures. GAO-06-491, July 6, 2006 (56 pages).
- Child Welfare: Federal Action Needed to Ensure States Have Plans to Safeguard Children in the Child Welfare System Displaced by Disasters. GAO-06-944, July 28, 2006 (41 pages).
- Community Services Block Grant Program: HHS Should Improve Oversight by Focusing Monitoring and Assistance Efforts on Areas of High Risk. GAO-06-627, June 29, 2006 (43 pages).
- Faith-Based and Community Initiative: Improvements in Monitoring Grantees and Measuring Performance Could Enhance Accountability. GAO-06-616, June 19, 2006 (83 pages).
- Welfare Reform: Better Information Needed to Understand Trends in States' Uses of the TANF Block Grant. GAO-06-414, March 3, 2006 (68 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- CFC Charities: Responses to Posthearing Questions. GAO-06-959R, July 7, 2006 (4 pages).
- Tax Compliance: Challenges to Corporate Tax Enforcement and Options to Improve Securities Basis Reporting. GAO-06-851T, June 13, 2006 (22 pages).
- Tax Compliance: Opportunities Exist to Reduce the Tax Gap Using a Variety of Approaches. GAO-06-1000T, July 26, 2006 (20 pages).
- Tax Debt: Some Combined Federal Campaign Charities Owe Payroll and Other Federal Taxes. GAO-06-887, July 28, 2006 (43 pages).
- Highway Finance: States' Expanding Use of Tolling Illustrates Diverse Challenges and Strategies. GAO-06-554, June 28, 2006 (65 pages).
- Next Generation Air Transportation System: Preliminary Analysis of Progress and Challenges Associated with the Transforamtion of the National Airspace System. GAO-06-915T, July 25, 2006 (20 pages).
- Rail Transit: Additional Federal Leadership Would Enhance FTA's State Safety Oversight Program. GAO-06-821, July 26, 2006 (51 pages).
- Rail Transit: Observations on FTA's State Safety Oversight Program. GAO-06-997T, July 19, 2006 (30 pages).
- VA and DOD Health Care: Efforts to Provide Seamless Transition of Care for OEF and OIF Servicemembers and Veterans. GAO-06-794R, June 30, 2006 (22 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Alaska Structures, Inc.--Costs. B-298156.2, July 17, 2006 (6 pages).
- Capitol Supply, Inc.. B-298123, B-298123.2, B-298123.3, June 28, 2006 (6 pages).
- Customs and Border Protection--Relocation Expenses. B-306748, July 6, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Education--No Child Left Behind Newspaper Article Entitled "Parents Want Science Classes That Make the Grade". B-307917, July 6, 2006 (2 pages).
- Department of Energy--December 2004 Agreement with the United States Enrichment Corporation. B-307137, July 12, 2006 (18 pages).
- Fabritech, Inc.. B-298247, B-298247.2, July 27, 2006 (7 pages).
- King Construction Company, Inc.. B-298276, July 17, 2006 (5 pages).
- Kolob Canyons Air Service. B-298240.2, July 11, 2006 (4 pages).
- Magnum Medical Personnel, A Joint Venture. B-297687.2, June 20, 2006 (12 pages).
- PPG-CMS-PSI JV. B-298239, B-298239.2, July 19, 2006 (5 pages).
- Southwest Educational Development Laboratory. B-298259, July 10, 2006 (6 pages).
- Systems Research and Applications Corporation. B-298107, B-298107.2, June 26, 2006 (10 pages).
- TPL, Inc.. B-297136.10, B-297136.11, June 29, 2006 (21 pages).
- The Ideal Solution, LLC. B-298300, July 10, 2006 (3 pages).
- University of Dayton Research Institute. B-296946.6, June 15, 2006 (9 pages).
- Updated Rescission Statistics, Fiscal Years 1974-2005. B-306473, November 4, 2005 (10 pages).
- Veteran Enterprise Technology Services, LLC. B-298201.2, July 13, 2006 (5 pages).
- WareOnEarth Communications, Inc.. B-298408, July 11, 2006 (5 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Agriculture, Commodity Credit Corporation: Conservation Reserve Program--Emergency Forestry Conservation Reserve Program. GAO-06-857R, July 10, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Agriculture, Farm Service Agency: Emergency Conservation Program. GAO-06-856R, July 10, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Education: Student Assistance General Provisions; Federal Perkins Loan Program; Federal Work-Study Programs; Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program; Federal Family Education Loan Program; William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program; Federal Pell Grant Program; Academic Competitiveness Grant Program; and National Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant Program. GAO-06-975R, July 19, 2006 (4 pages).
- Environmental Protection Agency: Standards of Performance for Stationary Compression Ignition Internal Combustion Engines. GAO-06-986R, July 20, 2006 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: email@example.com with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.