GAO Month in Review April 2006
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Budget and Spending
- Fiscal Year 2007 Budget Request: U.S. Government Accountability Office. GAO-06-418T, April 26, 2006 (22 pages).
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Company Formations: Minimal Ownership Information Is Collected and Available. GAO-06-376, April 7, 2006 (71 pages).
- Survey of State Officials Responsible for Company Formation. GAO-06-377SP, April 7, 2006 (2 pages).
- Credit Card Minimum Payment Disclosures Cardholder Interview Results. GAO-06-611SP, April 21, 2006 (2 pages).
- Credit Cards: Customized Minimum Payment Disclosures Would Provide More Information to Consumers, but Impact Could Vary. GAO-06-434, April 21, 2006 (47 pages).
- Small Business Administration: Improvements Made, but Loan Programs Face Ongoing Management Challenges. GAO-06-605T, April 6, 2006 (21 pages).
- Small Business Innovation Research: Information on Awards Made by NIH and DoD in Fiscal Years 2001 through 2004. GAO-06-565, April 14, 2006 (71 pages).
- Title Insurance: Preliminary Views and Issues for Further Study. GAO-06-568, April 24, 2006 (20 pages).
- Title Insurance: Preliminary Views and Issues for Further Study. GAO-06-569T, April 26, 2006 (9 pages).
- Senior Community Service Employment Program: Labor Has Made Progress Implementing Older Americans Act Amendments of 2000, but Challenges Remain. GAO-06-549T, April 6, 2006 (34 pages).
- Workplace Safety and Health: OSHA Could Improve Federal Agencies' Safety Programs with a More Strategic Approach to Its Oversight. GAO-06-379, April 21, 2006 (60 pages).
- DOE Contracting: Improved Program Management Could Help Achieve Small Business Goal. GAO-06-501, April 7, 2006 (36 pages).
- Gas Pipeline Safety: Preliminary Observations on the Implementation of the Integrity Management Program. GAO-06-588T, April 27, 2006 (20 pages).
- Hanford Waste Treatment Plant: Contractor and DOE Management Problems Have Led to Higher Costs, Construction Delays, and Safety Concerns. GAO-06-602T, April 6, 2006 (28 pages).
- Nuclear Power Plants: Efforts Made to Upgrade Security, but the Nuclear Regulatory Commission's Design Basis Threat Process Should Be Improved. GAO-06-388, March 14, 2006 (57 pages).
- Nuclear Power: Plants Have Upgraded Security, but the Nuclear Regulatory Commission Needs to Improve Its Process for Revising the Design Basis Threat. GAO-06-555T, April 4, 2006 (16 pages).
- Nuclear Weapons: Views on Proposals to Transform the Nuclear Weapons Complex. GAO-06-606T, April 26, 2006 (17 pages).
- Yucca Mountain: DOE's Planned Nuclear Waste Repository Faces Quality Assurance and Management Challenges. GAO-06-550T, April 25, 2006 (19 pages).
- Conservation Security Program: Despite Cost Controls, Improved USDA Management Is Needed to Ensure Proper Payments and Reduce Duplication with Other Programs. GAO-06-312, April 28, 2006 (96 pages).
- Endangered Species: Time and Costs Required to Recover Species Are Largely Unknown. GAO-06-463R, April 6, 2006 (27 pages).
- Financial Audit: Significant Internal Control Weaknesses Remain in Preparing the Consolidated Financial Statements of the U.S. Government. GAO-06-415, April 21, 2006 (65 pages).
- Financial Management Systems: Lack of Disciplined Process Puts Effective Implementation of Treasury's Governmentwide Financial Report System at Risk. GAO-06-413, April 21, 2006 (22 pages).
- Financial Management: Challenges Continue in Meeting Requirements of the Improper Payments Information Act. GAO-06-581T, April 5, 2006 (24 pages).
- Improper Payments: Federal and State Coordination Needed to Report National Improper Payment Estimates on Federal Programs. GAO-06-347, April 14, 2006 (71 pages).
- Internal Control: Improvements Needed in SEC's Accounting and Financial Reporting Procedures. GAO-06-459R, April 21, 2006 (27 pages).
- Managerial Cost Accounting Practices: Department of Health and Human Services and Social Security Administration. GAO-06-599R, April 18, 2006 (33 pages).
- Capitol Visitor Center: Update on Status of Project's Schedule and Cost as of April 27, 2006. GAO-06-665T, April 27, 2006 (20 pages).
- Congressional Oversight: FAA Case Study Shows How Agency Performance, Budgeting, and Financial Information Could Enhance Oversight. GAO-06-378, March 8, 2006 (56 pages).
- Contract Management: Increased Use of Alaska Native Corporations' Special 8(a) Provisions Calls for Tailored Oversight. GAO-06-399, April 27, 2006 (86 pages).
- Elections: Absentee Voting Assistance to Military and Overseas Citizens Increased for the 2004 General Election, but Challenges Remain. GAO-06-521, April 7, 2006 (40 pages).
- Hurricane Katrina: Comprehensive Policies and Procedures Are Needed to Ensure Appropriate Use of and Accountability for International Assistance. GAO-06-460, April 6, 2006 (42 pages).
- Hurricane Katrina: Planning for and Management of Federal Disaster Recovery Contracts. GAO-06-622T, April 10, 2006 (11 pages).
- Hurricane Katrina: Policies and Procedures Are Needed to Ensure Appropriate Use of and Accountability for International Assistance. GAO-06-600T, April 6, 2006 (11 pages).
- Tobacco Settlement: States' Allocations of Fiscal Year 2005 and Expected Fiscal Year 2006 Payments. GAO-06-502, April 11, 2006 (67 pages).
- Drug Safety: Improvement Needed in FDA's Postmarket Decision-making and Oversight Process. GAO-06-402, March 31, 2006 (62 pages).
- Global Health: Spending Requirement Presents Challenges for Allocating Prevention Funding under the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief. GAO-06-395, April 4, 2006 (87 pages).
- Medicare Hospital Pharmaceuticals: Survey Shows Price Variation and Highlights Data Collection Lessons and Outpatient Rate-Setting Challenges for CMS. GAO-06-372, April 28, 2006 (47 pages).
- Ryan White CARE Act: AIDS Drug Assistance Programs, Perinatal HIV Transmission, and Partner Notification. GAO-06-681T, April 26, 2006 (7 pages).
- Ryan White CARE Act: Changes Needed to Improve the Distribution of Funding. GAO-06-703T, April 27, 2006 (23 pages).
- Ryan White CARE Act: Improved Oversight Needed to Ensure AIDS Drug Assistance Programs Obtain Best Prices for Drugs. GAO-06-646, April 26, 2006 (67 pages).
- Border Security: Investigators Successfully Transported Radioactive Sources Across Our Nation's Borders at Selected Locations. GAO-06-545R, March 28, 2006 (10 pages).
- Border Security: Investigators Transported Radioactive Sources Across Our Nation's Borders at Two Locations. GAO-06-583T, March 28, 2006 (8 pages).
- Border Security: Reassessment of Consular Resource Requirements Could Help Address Visa Delays. GAO-06-542T, April 4, 2006 (17 pages).
- Coast Guard: Changes to Deepwater Plan Appear Sound, and Program Management Has Improved, but Continued Monitoring Is Warranted. GAO-06-546, April 28, 2006 (46 pages).
- Terrorist Financing: Agencies Can Improve Efforts to Deliver Counter-Terrorism-Financing Training and Technical Assistance Abroad. GAO-06-632T, April 6, 2006 (26 pages).
- Disability Benefits: Benefit Amounts for Military Personnel and Civilian Public Safety Officers Vary by Program Provisions and Individual Circumstances. GAO-06-4, April 7, 2006 (129 pages).
- National Saving: Current Saving Decisions Have Profound Implications for Our Nation's Future Well-Being. GAO-06-628T, April 6, 2006 (19 pages).
- Information Sharing: The Federal Government Needs to Establish Policies and Processes for Sharing Terrorism-Related and Sensitive but Unclassified Information. GAO-06-385, March 17, 2006 (72 pages).
- Personal Information: Agencies and Resellers Vary in Providing Privacy Protections. GAO-06-609T, April 4, 2006 (30 pages).
- Personal Information: Agency and Reseller Adherence to Key Privacy Principles. GAO-06-421, April 4, 2006 (87 pages).
- Export Promotion: Trade Promotion Coordinating Committee's Role Remains Limited. GAO-06-660T, April 26, 2006 (17 pages).
- Foreign Assistance: USAID Has Begun Tsunami Reconstruction in Indonesia and Sri Lanka, but Key Projects May Exceed Initial Cost and Schedule Estimates. GAO-06-488, April 14, 2006 (49 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: Governance, Security, Reconstruction, and Financing Challenges. GAO-06-697T, April 25, 2006 (31 pages).
- State's Centrally Billed Foreign Affairs Travel: Internal Control Breakdowns and Ineffective Oversight Lost Taxpayers Tens of Millions of Dollars. GAO-06-298, March 10, 2006 (53 pages).
- U.S.-China Trade: Challenges and Choices to Apply Countervailing Duties to China. GAO-06-608T, April 4, 2006 (23 pages).
- U.S.-China Trade: Eliminating Nonmarket Economy Methodology Would Lower Antidumping Duties for Some Chinese Companies. GAO-06-231, January 10, 2006 (57 pages).
- GAO China Antidumping Database. GAO-06-652SP, April 21, 2006 (1 page).
- United Nations: Funding Arrangement Impede Independence of Internal Auditors. GAO-06-575, April 25, 2006 (62 pages).
- United Nations: Internal Oversight and Procurement Controls and Processes Need Strengthening. GAO-06-701T, April 27, 2006 (19 pages).
- United Nations: Lessons Learned from Oil for Food Program Indicate the Need to Strengthen UN Internal Controls and Oversight Activities. GAO-06-330, April 25, 2006 (70 pages).
- United Nations: Procurement Internal Controls Are Weak. GAO-06-577, April 25, 2006 (48 pages).
- World Trade Organization: Limited Progress at Hong Kong Ministerial Clouds Prospects for Doha Agreement. GAO-06-596, April 26, 2006 (42 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Immigration Benefits: Fourteenth Report Required by the Haitian Refugee Immigration Fairness Act of 1998. GAO-06-589R, April 21, 2006 (5 pages).
- Pigford Settlement: The Role of the Court-Appointed Monitor. GAO-06-469R, March 17, 2006 (24 pages).
- Contract Security Guards: Army's Guard Program Requires Greater Oversight and Reassessment of Acquisition Approach. GAO-06-284, April 3, 2006 (42 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Actions Needed to Get Better Results on Weapons Systems Investments. GAO-06-585T, April 5, 2006 (14 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Assessments of Selected Major Weapon Programs. GAO-06-391, March 31, 2006 (141 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: DOD Wastes Billions of Dollars through Poorly Structured Incentives. GAO-06-409T, April 5, 2006 (19 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Improved Business Case Key for Future Combat System's Success. GAO-06-564T, April 4, 2006 (19 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Major Weapon Systems Continue to Experience Cost and Schedule Problems under DOD's Revised Policy. GAO-06-368, April 14, 2006 (34 pages).
- Department of Defense Actions to Modify its Commercial Communications Satellite Services Procurement Process. GAO-06-480R, April 17, 2006 (7 pages).
- Electronic Warfare: Option of Upgrading Additional EA-6Bs Could Reduce Risk in Development of EA-18G. GAO-06-446, April 26, 2006 (25 pages).
- Force Structure: Capabilities and Cost of Army Modular Force Remain Uncertain. GAO-06-548T, April 4, 2006 (20 pages).
- Highlights of a GAO Forum: Managing the Supplier Base in the 21st Century. GAO-06-533SP, March 31, 2006 (34 pages).
- Military Disability Evaluation: Ensuring Consistent and Timely Outcomes for Reserve and Active Duty Service Members. GAO-06-561T, April 6, 2006 (12 pages).
- Military Disability System: Improved Oversight Needed to Ensure Consistent and Timely Outcomes for Reserve and Active Duty Service Members. GAO-06-362, March 31, 2006 (54 pages).
- Military Housing: Management Issues Require Attention as the Privatization Program Matures. GAO-06-438, April 28, 2006 (50 pages).
- Military Pay: Hundreds of Battle-Injured GWOT Soldiers Have Struggled to Resolve Military Debts. GAO-06-494, April 27, 2006 (27 pages).
- Military Pay: Inadequate Controls for Stopping Overpayments of Hostile Fire and Hardship Duty Pay to Over 200 Sick or Injured Army National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers Assigned to Fort Bragg. GAO-06-384R, April 27, 2006 (15 pages).
- Military Pay: Military Debts Present Significant Hardships to Hundreds of Sick and Injured GWOT Soldiers. GAO-06-657T, April 27, 2006 (15 pages).
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Improved Planning and Acquisition Strategies Can Help Address Operational Challenges. GAO-06-610T, April 6, 2006 (24 pages).
- National Park Service: Major Operations Funding Trends and How Selected Park Units Responded to Those Trends for Fiscal Years 2001 Through 2005. GAO-06-431, March 31, 2006 (100 pages).
- National Park Service: Major Operations Funding Trends and How Selected Park Units Responded to Those Trends for Fiscal Years 2001 through 2005. GAO-06-631T, April 5, 2006 (22 pages).
- Natural Resources: Woody Biomass Users' Experiences Offer Insights for Government Efforts Aimed at Promoting Its Use. GAO-06-336, March 22, 2006 (40 pages).
- Natural Resources: Woody Biomass Users' Experiences Provide Insights for Ongoing Government Efforts to Promote Its Use. GAO-06-694T, April 27, 2006 (12 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- Space Acquisitions: Improvements Needed in Space Systems Acquisitions and Keys to Achieving Them. GAO-06-626T, April 6, 2006 (17 pages).
- Telecommunications: Weaknesses in Procedures and Performance Management Hinder Junk Fax Enforcement. GAO-06-425, April 5, 2006 (48 pages).
- Welfare Reform: Better Information Needed to Understand Trends in States' Uses of the TANF Block Grant. GAO-06-414, March 3, 2006 (68 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Business Systems Modernization: IRS Needs to Complete Recent Efforts to Develop Policies and Procedures to Guide Requirements Development and Management. GAO-06-310, March 20, 2006 (33 pages).
- Internal Revenue Service: Assessment of the Interim Results of the 2006 Filing Season and Fiscal Year 2007 Budget Request. GAO-06-499T, April 27, 2006 (47 pages).
- Internal Revenue Service: Assessment of the Interim Results of the 2006 Filing Season and Fiscal Year 2007 Budget Request. GAO-06-615T, April 6, 2006 (45 pages).
- Paid Tax Return Preparers: In a Limited Study, Chain Preparers Made Serious Errors. GAO-06-563T, April 4, 2006 (33 pages).
- Tax Administration: Opportunities to Improve Compliance Decisions and Service to Taxpayers through Enhancements to Appeals' Feedback Project. GAO-06-396, March 24, 2006 (39 pages).
- Aviation Security: Enhancements Made in Passenger and Checked Baggage Screening, but Challenges Remain. GAO-06-371T, April 4, 2006 (36 pages).
- Aviation Security: Transportation Security Administration Has Made Progress in Managing a Federal Security Workforce and Ensuring Security at U.S. Airports, but Challenges Remain. GAO-06-597T, April 4, 2006 (37 pages).
- Highway Trust Fund: Overview of Highway Trust Fund Estimates. GAO-06-572T, April 4, 2006 (21 pages).
- VA Health Care: Experiences in Denver and Charleston Offer Lessons for Future Partnerships with Medical Affiliates. GAO-06-472, April 28, 2006 (42 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Al Long Ford. B-297807, April 12, 2006 (11 pages).
- CRAssociates, Inc.. B-297686, March 7, 2006 (7 pages).
- Israel Aircraft Industries, Ltd.--TAMAM Division. B-297691, March 13, 2006 (7 pages).
- Knowledge Connections, Inc.. B-298172, April 12, 2006 (2 pages).
- Lawrence C. Drake. B-298143, April 7, 2006 (4 pages).
- PDS Consultants, Inc.. B-297890, April 4, 2006 (3 pages).
- Project Resources, Inc.. B-297968, March 31, 2006 (2 pages).
- Starlight Corporation, Inc.. B-297904.2, April 14, 2006 (4 pages).
- United States Capitol Police--Waiver of Erroneous Salary Payments. B-307529, March 28, 2006 (6 pages).
- University Research Company, LLC. B-294358.10, B-294358.8, B-294358.9, April 6, 2006 (17 pages).
- Yardney Technical Products, Inc.--Costs. B-297648.3, March 28, 2006 (5 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Consumer Product Safety Commission: Final Rule: Standard for the Flammability (Open Flame) of Mattress Sets. GAO-06-621R, April 12, 2006 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Conditions for Payment of Power Mobility Devices, Including Power Wheelchairs and Power-Operated Vehicles. GAO-06-650R, April 12, 2006 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO: 202-512-6000 (voice) 202-512-2537 (TDD) 202-512-6061 (fax).
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.