GAO Month in Review September 2005
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month http://www.gao.gov/press/topten.html
Business, Industry, and Consumers
- Real Estate Brokerage: Factors That May Affect Price Competition. GAO-05-947, August 31, 2005 (28 pages).
- Risk Retention Groups: Common Regulatory Standards and Greater Member Protections Are Needed. GAO-05-536, August 15, 2005 (114 pages).
- No Child Left Behind Act: Education Could Do More to Help States Better Define Graduation Rates and Improve Knowledge about Intervention Strategies. GAO-05-879, September 20, 2005 (62 pages).
- School Meal Programs: Competitive Foods Are Widely Available and Generate Substantial Revenues for Schools. GAO-05-563, August 8, 2005 (58 pages).
- Registered Apprenticeship Programs: Labor Can Better Use Data to Target Oversight. GAO-05-886, August 29, 2005 (66 pages).
- Vocational Rehabilitation: Better Measures and Monitoring Could Improve the Performance of the VR Program. GAO-05-865, September 23, 2005 (73 pages).
- Energy Markets: Gasoline Price Trends. GAO-05-1047T, September 21, 2005 (20 pages).
- Nuclear Cleanup: Preliminary Results of the Review of the Department of Energy's Rocky Flats Closure Projects. GAO-05-1044R, September 22, 2005 (16 pages).
- Nuclear Security: DOE Needs Better Information to Guide Its Expanded Recovery of Sealed Radiological Sources. GAO-05-967, September 22, 2005 (56 pages).
- Residential Energy: Oversight of Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program Payments. GAO-05-1039T, September 27, 2005 (4 pages).
- Wind Power: Impacts on Wildlife and Government Responsibilities for Regulating Development and Protecting Wildlife. GAO-05-906, September 16, 2005 (59 pages).
- Climate Change: Federal Reports on Climate Change Funding Should Be Clearer and More Complete. GAO-05-461, August 25, 2005 (47 pages).
- Invasive Species: Progress and Challenges in Preventing Introduction into U.S. Waters Via the Ballast Water in Ships. GAO-05-1026T, September 9, 2005 (25 pages).
- Klamath River Basin Conservation Area Restoration Program: Limited Assurance Regarding the Federal Funding Requirements. GAO-05-804, September 19, 2005 (38 pages).
- Industrial Loan Corporations: Recent Asset Growth and Commercial Interest Highlight Differences in Regulatory Authority. GAO-05-621, September 15, 2005 (98 pages).
- Mutual Fund Industry: SEC's Revised Examination Approach Offers Potential Benefits, but Significant Oversight Challenges Remain. GAO-05-415, August 17, 2005 (52 pages).
- Army Corps of Engineers: Improved Planning and Financial Management Should Replace Reliance on Reprogramming Actions to Manage Project Funds. GAO-05-946, September 16, 2005 (39 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the National Conference on Citizenship for Fiscal Years 2003 and 2002. GAO-05-1032R, September 30, 2005 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Report for the National Federation of Music Clubs for Fiscal Year 2003. GAO-05-1034R, September 30, 2005 (2 pages).
- Federally Chartered Corporation: Financial Statement Audit Reports for the National Conference of State Societies, Washington, District of Columbia, for Fiscal Years 2003 and 2002. GAO-05-1033R, September 30, 2005 (2 pages).
- Financial Audit: Independent and Special Counsel Expenditures for the Six Months Ended March 31, 2005. GAO-05-961, September 30, 2005 (14 pages).
- Financial Audit: Restatements to the Department of State's Fiscal Year 2003 Financial Statements. GAO-05-814R, September 20, 2005 (10 pages).
- Financial Audits: The Vast Majority of Executive Branch Entities Included in the Federal Budget Are Statutorily Required to Have Their Financial Statements Audited. GAO-05-1024R, September 30, 2005 (22 pages).
- Financial Management: Achieving FFMIA Compliance Continues to Challenge Agencies. GAO-05-881, September 20, 2005 (50 pages).
- Managerial Cost Accounting Practices: Departments of Labor and Veterans Affairs. GAO-05-1031T, September 21, 2005 (9 pages).
- Managerial Cost Accounting Practices: Leadership and Internal Controls Are Key to Successful Implementation. GAO-05-1013R, September 2, 2005 (63 pages).
- Post-Hearing Questions Related to Agency Implementation of the Improper Payments Information Act. GAO-05-1029R, September 16, 2005 (5 pages).
- Agency Telework Methodologies: Departments of Commerce, Justice, State, the Small Business Administration, and the Securities and Exchange Commission. GAO-05-1055R, September 27, 2005 (39 pages).
- Capitol Visitor Center: Schedule Delays Continue; Reassessment Underway. GAO-05-1037T, September 15, 2005 (21 pages).
- Framework for Assessing the Acquisition Function At Federal Agencies. GAO-05-218G, September 1, 2005 (68 pages).
- Human Capital: Designing and Managing Market-Based and More Performance-Oriented Pay Systems. GAO-05-1048T, September 27, 2005 (18 pages).
- Hurricane Katrina: Providing Oversight of the Nation's Preparedness, Response, and Recovery Activities. GAO-05-1053T, September 28, 2005 (21 pages).
- Improvements Needed to the Federal Procurement Data System-Next Generation. GAO-05-960R, September 27, 2005 (7 pages).
- Information Quality Act: National Agricultural Statistics Service Implements First Steps, but Documentation of Census of Agriculture Could Be Improved. GAO-05-644, September 23, 2005 (25 pages).
- Intellectual Property: Improvements Needed to Better Manage Patent Office Automation and Address Workforce Challenges. GAO-05-1008T, September 8, 2005 (23 pages).
- Managing For Results: Enhancing Agency Use of Performance Information for Management Decision Making. GAO-05-927, September 9, 2005 (44 pages).
- U.S. Postal Service: Factors Affecting Fund-Raising Stamp Sales Suggest Lessons Learned. GAO-05-953, September 30, 2005 (63 pages).
- Federal Employees Health Benefits Program: Competition and Other Factors Linked to Wide Variation in Health Care Prices. GAO-05-856, August 15, 2005 (74 pages).
- Food and Drug Administration: Limited Available Data Indicate That FDA Has Been Meeting Some Goals for Review of Medical Device Applications. GAO-05-1042, September 30, 2005 (30 pages).
- Health Care: Continued Leadership Needed to Define and Implement Information Technology Standards. GAO-05-1054T, September 29, 2005 (12 pages).
- Indian Health Service: Health Care Services Are Not Always Available to Native Americans. GAO-05-789, August 31, 2005 (41 pages).
- Prescription Drugs: Price Trends for Frequently Used Brand and Generic Drugs from 2000 through 2004. GAO-05-779, August 15, 2005 (24 pages).
- September 11: Monitoring of World Trade Center Health Effects Has Progressed, but Not for Federal Responders. GAO-05-1020T, September 10, 2005 (25 pages).
- Border Security: Opportunities to Increase Coordination of Air and Marine Assets. GAO-05-543, August 12, 2005 (29 pages).
- Border Security: Strengthened Visa Process Would Benefit from Additional Management Actions by State and DHS. GAO-05-994T, September 13, 2005 (21 pages).
- Border Security: Strengthened Visa Process Would Benefit from Improvements in Staffing and Information Sharing. GAO-05-859, September 13, 2005 (58 pages).
- Department of Homeland Security: Strategic Management of Training Important for Successful Transformation. GAO-05-888, September 23, 2005 (46 pages).
- HUD Rental Assistance: Progress and Challenges in Measuring and Reducing Improper Rent Subsidies. GAO-05-1027T, September 27, 2005 (15 pages).
- Federal Pensions: Judicial Survivors' Annuities System Costs. GAO-05-955, September 16, 2005 (18 pages).
- Private Pensions: Questions Concerning the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation's Practices Regarding Single-Employer Probable Claims. GAO-05-991R, September 9, 2005 (11 pages).
- Social Security Numbers: Federal and State Laws Restrict Use of SSNs, yet Gaps Remain. GAO-05-1016T, September 15, 2005 (32 pages).
- Information Technology: FBI Is Building Management Capabilities Essential to Successful System Deployments, but Challenges Remain. GAO-05-1014T, September 14, 2005 (28 pages).
- Information Technology: FBI Is Taking Steps to Develop an Enterprise Architecture, but Much Remains to Be Accomplished. GAO-05-363, September 9, 2005 (42 pages).
- Information Technology: Management Improvements Needed on Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Infrastructure Modernization Program. GAO-05-805, September 7, 2005 (63 pages).
- Foreign Assistance: Middle East Partnership Initiative Offers Tools for Supporting Reform, but Project Monitoring Needs Improvement. GAO-05-711, August 8, 2005 (38 pages).
- Globalization: Numerous Federal Activities Complement U.S. Business's Global Corporate Social Responsibility Efforts. GAO-05-744, August 8, 2005 (69 pages).
- Globalization: Observations on Federal Activities Related to Global Corporate Social Responsibility and Human Rights. GAO-05-1049T, September 28, 2005 (16 pages).
- International Affairs: Information on U.S. Agencies' Efforts to Address Islamic Extremism. GAO-05-852, September 16, 2005 (26 pages).
- International Finance: Treasury Has Reduced the Number of Attaches Overseas. GAO-05-1010, September 23, 2005 (24 pages).
- International Trade: Issues and Effects of Implementing the Continued Dumping and Subsidy Offset Act. GAO-05-979, September 26, 2005 (109 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: U.S. Assistance for the January 2005 Elections. GAO-05-932R, September 7, 2005 (20 pages).
- Rebuilding Iraq: U.S. Water and Sanitation Efforts Need Improved Measures for Assessing Impact and Sustained Resources for Maintaining Facilities. GAO-05-872, September 7, 2005 (42 pages).
- Treasury Continues to Maintain Its Formal Process to Promote U.S. Policies at the International Monetary Fund. GAO-05-1015R, September 14, 2005 (20 pages).
- U.S.-China Trade: The United States Has Not Restricted Imports under the China Safeguard. GAO-05-1056, September 29, 2005 (26 pages).
Justice and Law Enforcement
- Drug Offenders: Various Factors May Limit the Impacts of Federal Laws That Provide for Denial of Selected Benefits. GAO-05-238, September 26, 2005 (85 pages).
- Immigration Enforcement: Weaknesses Hinder Employment Verification and Worksite Enforcement Efforts. GAO-05-813, August 31, 2005 (59 pages).
- Radiation Exposure Compensation Act: Program Status. GAO-05-1002R, September 28, 2005 (11 pages).
- Briefing on DOD's Report on Commercial Communications Satellite Services Procurement Process. GAO-05-1019R, September 27, 2005 (24 pages).
- DOD Business Transformation: Preliminary Observations on the Defense Travel System. GAO-05-998T, September 29, 2005 (27 pages).
- Defense Acquisitions: Actions Needed to Ensure Adequate Funding for Operation and Sustainment of the Ballistic Missile Defense System. GAO-05-817, September 6, 2005 (31 pages).
- Defense Health Care: DOD has Established a Chiropractic Benefit for Active Duty Personnel. GAO-05-890R, September 6, 2005 (15 pages).
- Defense Logistics: Better Strategic Planning Can Help Ensure DOD's Successful Implementation of Passive Radio Frequency Identification. GAO-05-345, September 12, 2005 (54 pages).
- Defense Management: DOD Needs to Demonstrate That Performance-Based Logistics Contracts Are Achieving Expected Benefits. GAO-05-966, September 9, 2005 (18 pages).
- Defense Procurement: Air Force Did Not Fully Evaluate Options in Waiving Berry Amendment for Selected Aircraft. GAO-05-957, September 23, 2005 (21 pages).
- Defense Space Activities: Management and Guidance Performance Measures Needed to Develop Personnel. GAO-05-833, September 21, 2005 (30 pages).
- Defense Trade: Enhancements to the Implementation of Exon-Florio Could Strengthen the Law's Effectiveness. GAO-05-686, September 28, 2005 (51 pages).
- Defense Transportation: Air Mobility Command Needs to Collect and Analyze Better Data to Assess Aircraft Utilization. GAO-05-819, September 29, 2005 (39 pages).
- Defense Transportation: Opportunities Exist to Enhance the Credibility of the Current and Future Mobility Capabilities Studies. GAO-05-659R, September 14, 2005 (12 pages).
- Force Structure: Actions Needed to Improve Estimates and Oversight of Costs for Transforming Army to a Modular Force. GAO-05-926, September 29, 2005 (37 pages).
- Global War on Terrorism: DOD Needs to Improve the Reliability of Cost Data and Provide Additional Guidance to Control Costs. GAO-05-882, September 21, 2005 (70 pages).
- Global War on Terrorism: DOD Should Consider All Funds Requested for the War When Determining Needs and Covering Expenses. GAO-05-767, September 28, 2005 (41 pages).
- Military Personnel: Reporting Additional Servicemember Demographics Could Enhance Congressional Oversight. GAO-05-952, September 22, 2005 (155 pages).
- Radiological Sources in Iraq: DOD Should Evaluate Its Source Recovery Effort and Apply Lessons Learned to Future Recovery Missions. GAO-05-672, September 7, 2005 (51 pages).
- Army Corps of Engineers: Lake Pontchartrain and Vicinity Hurricane Protection Project. GAO-05-1050T, September 28, 2005 (8 pages).
- Environmental Information: Status of Federal Data Programs That Support Ecological Indicators. GAO-05-376, September 2, 2005 (183 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- Digital Television Transition: Issues Related to an Information Campaign Regarding the Transition. GAO-05-940R, September 6, 2005 (88 pages).
- NASA Travel: Passenger Aircraft Services Annually Cost Taxpayers Millions More Than Commercial Airlines. GAO-05-818, August 26, 2005 (44 pages).
- TANF: State Approaches to Screening for Domestic Violence Could Benefit from HHS Guidance. GAO-05-701, August 16, 2005 (41 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Government Performance and Accountability: Tax Expenditures Represent a Substantial Federal Commitment and Need to Be Reexamined. GAO-05-690, September 23, 2005 (129 pages).
- Tax Policy: Summary of Estimates of the Costs of the Federal Tax System. GAO-05-878, August 26, 2005 (28 pages).
- Understanding the Tax Reform Debate: Background, Criteria, and Questions. GAO-05-1009SP, September 1, 2005 (71 pages).
- Amtrak: Improved Management and Controls over Food and Beverage Service Needed. GAO-05-867, August 24, 2005 (27 pages).
- Aviation Safety: FAA Management Practices for Technical Training Mostly Effective; Further Actions Could Enhance Results. GAO-05-728, September 7, 2005 (85 pages).
- FAA Safety Inspector Training Survey Data. GAO-05-704SP, September 7, 2005 (1 page).
- Aviation Safety: Oversight of Foreign Code-Share Safety Program Should Be Strengthened. GAO-05-930, August 5, 2005 (54 pages).
- Aviation Security: Flight and Cabin Crew Member Security Training Strengthened, but Better Planning and Internal Controls Needed. GAO-05-781, September 6, 2005 (45 pages).
- Highway Congestion: Intelligent Transportation Systems' Promise for Managing Congestion Falls Short, and DOT Could Better Facilitate Their Strategic Use. GAO-05-943, September 14, 2005 (64 pages).
- Information Security: Progress Made, but Federal Aviation Administration Needs to Improve Controls over Air Traffic Control Systems. GAO-05-712, August 26, 2005 (33 pages).
- Computer-Based Patient Records: VA and DOD Made Progress, but Much Work Remains to Fully Share Medical Information. GAO-05-1051T, September 28, 2005 (18 pages).
- VA Health Care: Preliminary Information on the Joint Venture Proposal for VA's Charleston Facility. GAO-05-1041T, September 26, 2005 (23 pages).
- VA and DOD Health Care: VA Has Policies and Outreach Efforts to Smooth Transition from DOD Health Care, but Sharing of Health Information Remains Limited. GAO-05-1052T, September 28, 2005 (12 pages).
- Veterans Affairs: The Critical Role of the Chief Information Officer Position in Effective Information Technology Management. GAO-05-1017T, September 14, 2005 (19 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Firetech Automatic Sprinkler. B-296626, September 22, 2005 (4 pages).
- Foster-Miller, Inc. B-296194.4, B-296194.5, August 31, 2005 (11 pages).
- Med Optical. B-296231.2, B-296231.3, September 7, 2005 (4 pages).
- National Beef Packing Company. B-296534, September 1, 2005 (12 pages).
- Public Facility Consortium I, LLC; JDL Castle Corporation. B-295911.2, B295911, May 4, 2005 (5 pages).
- Quality Support, Inc. B-296716, September 13, 2005 (3 pages).
- Relief of Accountable Officers Emery Banguid & Frank Forgione U.S. Embassy, Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo. B-305885, September 2, 2005 (4 pages).
- TMC Design Corporation. B-296194.3, August 10, 2005 (5 pages).
- The Sandi-Sterling Consortium--Costs. B-296246.2, September 20, 2005 (3 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov.
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO:
This list is produced by the Government Accountability Office.