Month in Review February 2005
About the Month in Review
The Month in Review is a comprehensive list of all reports, testimony, correspondence, and other publications issued by GAO during the previous month, grouped according to subject categories.
Top 10 list of significant work made publicly available in the last month.
Agriculture and Food
- Food Safety: Experiences of Seven Countries in Consolidating Their Food Safety Systems. GAO-05-212, February 22, 2005 (62 pages).
- Diversity Management: Expert-Identified Leading Practices and Agency Examples. GAO-05-90, January 14, 2005 (42 pages).
- Indian Issues: Timeliness of the Tribal Recognition Process Has Improved, but It Will Take Years to Clear the Existing Backlog of Petitions. GAO-05-347T, February 10, 2005 (9 pages).
- Special Education: Children With Autism. GAO-05-220, January 14, 2005 (37 pages).
- Grants Management: EPA Needs to Strengthen Efforts to Provide the Public with Complete and Accurate Information on Grant Opportunities. GAO-05-149R, February 3, 2005 (16 pages).
- Loan Commitments: Issues Related to Pricing, Trading, and Accounting. GAO-05-131, February 14, 2005 (47 pages).
- Core Financial System Requirements: Checklist for Reviewing Systems under the Federal Financial Management Improvement Act. GAO-05-225G, February 1, 2005 (134 pages).
- Financial Audit: Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation Funds' 2004 and 2003 Financial Statements. GAO-05-281, February 11, 2005 (57 pages).
- Financial Management: Effective Internal Control Is Key to Accountability. GAO-05-321T, February 16, 2005 (16 pages).
- Fiscal Year 2004 U.S. Government Financial Statements: Sustained Improvement in Federal Financial Management Is Crucial to Addressing Our Nation's Future Fiscal Challenges. GAO-05-284T, February 9, 2005 (47 pages).
- 2010 Census: Basic Design Has Potential, but Remaining Challenges Need Prompt Resolution. GAO-05-9, January 12, 2005 (43 pages).
- Applying Agreed-Upon Procedures: House Interparliamentary Groups. GAO-05-236R, February 3, 2005 (12 pages).
- Human Capital: Preliminary Observations on Final Department of Homeland Security Human Capital Regulations. GAO-05-320T, February 10, 2005 (28 pages).
- Long-Term Fiscal Issues: Increasing Transparency and Reexamining the Base of the Federal Budget. GAO-05-317T, February 8, 2005 (31 pages).
- National Nuclear Security Administration: Contractors' Strategies to Recruit and Retain a Critically Skilled Workforce Are Generally Effective. GAO-05-164, February 2, 2005 (57 pages).
- Medicare Fee-for-Service Beneficiary Access to Physician Services: Trends in Utilization of Services, 2000 to 2002. GAO-05-145R, January 12, 2005 (30 pages).
- Medicare Physician Payments: Considerations for Reforming the Sustainable Growth Rate System. GAO-05-326T, February 10, 2005 (15 pages).
- Retiree Health Benefits: Options for Employment-Based Prescription Drug Benefits under the Medicare Modernization Act. GAO-05-205, February 14, 2005 (62 pages).
- Aviation Security: Measures for Testing the Impact of Using Commercial Data for the Secure Flight Program. GAO-05-324, February 23, 2005 (25 pages).
- Border Security: Streamlined Visas Mantis Program Has Lowered Burden on Foreign Science Students and Scholars, but Further Refinements Needed. GAO-05-198, February 18, 2005 (34 pages).
- Coast Guard: Station Readiness Improving, but Resource Challenges and Management Concerns Remain. GAO-05-161, January 31, 2005 (58 pages).
- Homeland Security: Agency Plans, Implementation, and Challenges Regarding the National Strategy for Homeland Security. GAO-05-33, January 14, 2005 (189 pages).
- Homeland Security: Process for Reporting Lessons Learned from Seaport Exercises Needs Further Attention. GAO-05-170, January 14, 2005 (31 pages).
- Homeland Security: Some Progress Made, but Many Challenges Remain on U.S. Visitor and Immigrant Status Indicator Technology Program. GAO-05-202, February 23, 2005 (137 pages).
- Transportation Security: Systematic Planning Needed to Optimize Resources. GAO-05-357T, February 15, 2005 (37 pages).
- Federal Thrift Savings Plan: Customer Service Practices Adopted by Private Sector Plan Managers Should Be Considered. GAO-05-38, January 18, 2005 (31 pages).
- Long Term Fiscal Issues: The Need for Social Security Reform. GAO-05-318T, February 9, 2005 (24 pages).
- Social Security Administration: Actions Needed to Strengthen Processes for Issuing Social Security Numbers to Children. GAO-05-115, January 31, 2005 (41 pages).
- Social Security: Long-Term Challenges Warrant Early Action. GAO-05-303T, February 3, 2005 (21 pages).
- Health and Human Services' Estimate of Health Care Cost Savings Resulting from the Use of Information Technology. GAO-05-309R, February 17, 2005 (9 pages).
- Office of Personnel Management: Retirement Systems Modernization Program Faces Numerous Challenges. GAO-05-237, February 28, 2005 (51 pages).
- Federal Procurement: International Agreements Result in Waivers of Some U.S. Domestic Source Restrictions. GAO-05-188, January 26, 2005 (24 pages).
- Foreign Assistance: U.S. Trade Capacity Building Extensive, but Its Effectiveness Has Yet to Be Evaluated. GAO-05-150, February 11, 2005 (60 pages).
- U.S.-China Trade: Observations on Ensuring China's Compliance with World Trade Organization Commitments. GAO-05-295T, February 4, 2005 (8 pages).
- United Nations: Oil for Food Program Audits. GAO-05-346T, February 15, 2005 (16 pages).
- Contract Management: The Air Force Should Improve How It Purchases AWACS Spare Parts. GAO-05-169, February 15, 2005 (22 pages).
- DOD Systems Modernization: Management of Integrated Military Human Capital Program Needs Additional Improvements. GAO-05-189, February 11, 2005 (107 pages).
- DOD and VA Health Care: Incentives Program for Sharing Health Resources. GAO-05-310R, February 28, 2005 (10 pages).
- Military Pay: Gaps in Pay and Benefits Create Financial Hardships for Injured Army National Guard and Reserve Soldiers. GAO-05-125, February 17, 2005 (67 pages).
- Military Pay: Gaps in Pay and Benefits Create Financial Hardships for Injured Army National Guard and Reserve Soldiers. GAO-05-322T, February 17, 2005 (20 pages).
- Military Personnel: A Strategic Approach Is Needed to Address Long-term Guard and Reserve Force Availability. GAO-05-285T, February 2, 2005 (18 pages).
- Military Personnel: DOD Needs to Conduct a Data-Driven Analysis of Active Military Personnel Levels Required to Implement the Defense Strategy. GAO-05-200, February 1, 2005 (38 pages).
- Military Personnel: Financial Cost and Loss of Critical Skills Due to DOD's Homosexual Conduct Policy Cannot Be Completely Estimated. GAO-05-299, February 23, 2005 (43 pages).
- Wildland Fire Management: Forest Service and Interior Need to Specify Steps and a Schedule for Identifying Long-Term Options and Their Costs. GAO-05-353T, February 17, 2005 (11 pages).
- Wildland Fire Management: Important Progress Has Been Made, but Challenges Remain to Completing a Cohesive Strategy. GAO-05-147, January 14, 2005 (32 pages).
Science, Space, and Technology
- Digital Broadcast Television Transition: Estimated Cost of Supporting Set-Top Boxes to Help Advance the DTV Transition. GAO-05-258T, February 17, 2005 (21 pages).
- 21st Century Challenges: Reexamining the Base of the Federal Government. GAO-05-325SP, February 1, 2005 (90 pages).
- 21st Century Challenges: Reexamining the Base of the Federal Government. GAO-05-352T, February 16, 2005 (32 pages).
- GAO's 2005 High-Risk Update. GAO-05-350T, February 17, 2005 (27 pages).
- Highlights of a GAO Forum: The Long-Term Fiscal Challenge. GAO-05-282SP, February 1, 2005 (86 pages).
Tax Policy and Administration
- Tax Shelters: Services Provided by External Auditors. GAO-05-171, February 1, 2005 (21 pages).
- Federal-Aid Highways: FHWA Needs a Comprehensive Approach to Improving Project Oversight. GAO-05-173, January 31, 2005 (50 pages).
- Mass Transit: Information on the Federal Role in Funding the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority. GAO-05-358T, February 18, 2005 (19 pages).
- VA Health Care: More Outpatient Rehabilitation Services for Blind Veterans Could Better Meet Their Needs. GAO-04-996T, July 22, 2004 (16 pages).
- VA Health Care: VA Should Expedite the Implementation of Recommendations Needed to Improve Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Services. GAO-05-287, February 14, 2005 (58 pages).
Legal Products: Decisions and Opinions
- Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.. B-294944.3, B-295430, February 2, 2005 (7 pages).
- Captiol Police--Use of Emergency Response Fund for Overtime Pay. B-303964, February 3, 2005 (10 pages).
- Crestridge, Inc.. B-295424, February 23, 2005 (5 pages).
- Dynamic Access Systems. B-295356, February 8, 2005 (8 pages).
- Envirosolve--Costs. B-294420.3, February 17, 2005 (4 pages).
- Gray Graphics Corporation. B-295421, February 18, 2005 (4 pages).
- Hanley Industries, Inc.. B-295318, February 2, 2005 (5 pages).
- Inter-Con Security Systems, Inc.. B-295352, B-295352.2, February 8, 2005 (6 pages).
- Lockheed Martin Corporation. B-295402, February 18, 2005 (19 pages).
- MTB Group, Inc.. B-295463, February 23, 2005 (5 pages).
- Prepackaged News Stories. B-304272, February 17, 2005 (3 pages).
- Reconsideration of B-303495--Office of National Drug Control Policy Prepackaged News Stories. B-303495.2, February 15, 2005 (4 pages).
- Saltwater Inc.--Reconsideration and Costs. B-294121.3, B-294121.4, February 8, 2005 (4 pages).
- Singleton Enterprises. B-295562, February 25, 2005 (3 pages).
- Spotless Janitorial Services, Inc.. B-295620, February 18, 2005 (3 pages).
- Total Industrial & Packaging Corporation. B-295434, February 22, 2005 (5 pages).
Legal Products: Federal Agency Major Rules
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Establishment of the Medicare Advantage Program. GAO-05-315R, February 9, 2005 (4 pages).
- Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services: Medicare Program; Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit. GAO-05-314R, February 11, 2005 (4 pages).
If you have any questions, please contact Paul Anderson of Public Affairs at (202)512-4800 or via email at AndersonP1@gao.gov
Subscribe to this monthly mailing and daily E-mail updates about GAO products at the "Subscribe to Updates" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Remove yourself from this mailing list by sending an E-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the message: unsubscribe review-m in the message body.
Find these and other GAO products in the "Reports and Testimony" section or the "Legal Products" section of http://www.gao.gov.
Order printed copies of any of these items from GAO:
This list is produced by the U.S. Government Accountability Office.