Resources: For Federal Managers
These GAO resources have been selected specifically for federal agency managers.
GAO has identified and documented best practices and leading practices in a number of key agency- and office-management functions. Best practices are generally processes, practices, and systems that, through detailed analysis, are determined to have helped organizations improve their performance in specific areas. Leading practices are generally processes, practices, and systems that, through testimonial evidence, literature review, and case studies are determined to have helped organizations improve their performance in specific areas.
The practices presented in these Key Issue pages help federal managers and decision makers:
- Use GAO's published work to strengthen their agency's capacity for improving the management functions that are critical for achieving mission success;
- Address long-standing management issues, including those identified in GAO's High Risk series and other GAO work; and
- Provide questions to help agencies self-evaluate core management functions.
Because organizations are diverse and complex, leading or even best practices for one organization may not work for another and agencies need to carefully consider which ones might help them improve.
Video: Learn More About GAO's Leading Practices for Federal Managers
View the Transcript
Stay Connected with GAO:
Reference Materials: GAO's standard-setting guides and treatises
Collections: GAO's special bodies of cross-cutting work
Have questions about best practices in a specific area?
J. Christopher Mihm
Managing Director, Strategic Issues
and Investigative Service
Michael J. Sullivan
Director, Acquisition and
Director, Strategic Issues
Director, Strategic Issues
Valerie C. Melvin
Have questions about open recommendations?
- For questions about a specific recommendation, contact the person or office listed with the recommendation.
- For general information about recommendations, contact GAO's Audit Policy and Quality Assurance office at (202)512-6100 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Search GAO's open recommendations.
Looking for individual GAO staff members?
The GAO Organizational Telephone Directory (PDF) provides contact information for agency personnel. This document is updated frequently.
For questions about specific areas in GAO's former Policy and Procedures Manual for Guidance of Federal Agencies (which is no longer available), please contact the following individuals:
- GAO's responsibilities and functions: Edda Emmanuelli Perez
- Accounting: Phyllis Anderson
- Pay, leave, and allowances: Gail Fischer
- Fiscal guidance: Julia C. Matta
- Records management contact Nancy Hunn
For general questions about the manual, please contact GAO's Audit Policy and Quality Assurance office at (202)512-6100 or email@example.com.
Contacting the agency:
- By phone: (202)512-3000
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By mail: Government Accountability Office, 441 G St., NW, Washington, DC 20548
Ordering our publications:
Order printed copies of GAO reports.