Farmers Home Administration's Implementation of the Agricultural Credit Act of 1987 and Sales of Farm Inventory Property

T-RCED-90-38: Published: Mar 5, 1990. Publicly Released: Mar 5, 1990.

Additional Materials:

Contact:

Office of Public Affairs
(202) 512-4800
youngc1@gao.gov

GAO discussed the Farmers Home Administration's (FmHA) implementation of provisions concerning debt servicing and the sale of farm inventory properties. GAO noted that: (1) over one-third of the eligible delinquent borrowers qualified to either restructure their debts or pay FmHA the adjusted collateral value, and nearly all the remaining borrowers either did not apply for servicing or did not submit applications; (2) only 9 percent of the restructured borrowers had favorable financial potential for successful future farming operations, while the remaining 91 percent needed continued FmHA financial assistance; (3) FmHA allowed bad-faith borrowers to buy out their debt at the net recovery value of their collateral, and those borrowers were then eligible to reacquire their foreclosed properties; (4) FmHA was not required to consider unsecured assets in computing debt relief; and (5) future nondelinquent borrowers could seek Agricultural Credit Act assistance by becoming delinquent on their FmHA loans.

Oct 2, 2017

Aug 24, 2017

Aug 14, 2017

May 15, 2017

May 11, 2017

Apr 28, 2017

Mar 16, 2017

Feb 13, 2017

Dec 7, 2016

Nov 28, 2016

Looking for more? Browse all our products here