National Parks:

Information on the Condition of Civil War Monuments at Selected Sites

RCED-95-80FS: Published: Feb 1, 1995. Publicly Released: Feb 10, 1995.

Additional Materials:

Contact:

Office of Public Affairs
(202) 512-4800
youngc1@gao.gov

Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO reviewed the National Park Service's (NPS) maintenance of Civil War monuments at selected historic sites, focusing on the: (1) monuments' overall condition; and (2) cost estimates for repairing the monuments in poor condition.

GAO found that: (1) 98 percent of the monuments at the 11 sites reviewed are in good or fair condition and need no or limited repairs and rehabilitation; (2) in general, the remaining 2 percent of the monuments need substantial repairs for broken or missing parts and pieces, chips, fractures, or cracks in the base or statuary, and wear or erosion of the base, bronzes, or stone inscriptions; (3) weather and vandalism have caused most of the monuments' structural problems, and other causes of deterioration include erosion, structural deficiencies, and neglect; and (4) the Park Service estimates that it would cost about $2.4 million to repair 63 percent of the monuments in poor condition, with most of those monuments requiring less than $10,000 in repairs.

Feb 19, 2015

Feb 13, 2015

Feb 12, 2015

Jan 21, 2015

Jan 15, 2015

Jan 14, 2015

Nov 20, 2014

Nov 17, 2014

Oct 16, 2014

Oct 14, 2014

Looking for more? Browse all our products here