Financial and Management Practices of the Great Lakes Fishery Commission

NSIAD-98-239R: Published: Aug 28, 1998. Publicly Released: Aug 28, 1998.

Additional Materials:

Contact:

Benjamin F. Nelson
(202) 512-4128
contact@gao.gov

 

Office of Public Affairs
(202) 512-4800
youngc1@gao.gov

Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO provided information on certain Great Lakes Fishery Commission (GLFC) practices and procedures, focusing on: (1) GLFC's sources and uses of funds; (2) GLFC's ability to reprogram, or reassign, funds; and (3) financial and managerial oversight over GLFC's activities for fiscal years (FY) 1995-1997.

GAO noted that: (1) funding from the U.S. and Canadian governments constituted the largest source of financing for GLFC during FY 1995 to FY 1997; (2) other revenue sources during this period included interest income, donations, and pledges; (3) GLFC allocates about 90 percent of its annual budget to sea lamprey management and research and the remaining 10 percent to administration and general research; (4) GLFC's internal financial regulations provide for a significant amount of flexibility in managing its financial resources; (5) it has used this flexibility in reprogramming funds to address funding shortages and other unanticipated requirements; (6) GLFC appears to have a multifaceted oversight structure, including a requirement for annual financial statement audits by an independent accounting firm; and (7) moreover, though not required, GLFC has had regular program audits and reviews conducted both internally and externally.

Oct 18, 2017

Oct 16, 2017

Oct 12, 2017

Oct 2, 2017

Sep 18, 2017

Sep 6, 2017

Aug 16, 2017

Aug 3, 2017

Jun 20, 2017

Jun 15, 2017

Looking for more? Browse all our products here