Foreign Investment:

Japanese-Affiliated Automakers' 1989 U.S. Production's Impact on Jobs

NSIAD-91-52: Published: Oct 17, 1990. Publicly Released: Nov 16, 1990.

Additional Materials:

Contact:

Office of Public Affairs
(202) 512-4800
youngc1@gao.gov

Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO estimated the possible effects of automobile production by Japanese-affiliated automakers in the United States on 1989 U.S. employment.

GAO found that the production of Japanese-affiliated automakers in the United States led to approximately 11,000 net job losses in 1989. In addition, GAO found that the 1989 estimate was based on assumptions that: (1) 68 percent of the Japanese affiliates' production in the United States displaced other U.S.-produced autos; and (2) the remaining 32 percent made up the difference between Japan's voluntary export restraint level and auto imports from Japan. GAO also found that a key factor in the net job loss estimates was that Japanese-affiliated automakers bought 50 percent of their parts from U.S. sources in 1989, up from 38 percent in 1988.

Oct 19, 2017

Oct 12, 2017

Oct 4, 2017

Sep 28, 2017

Sep 19, 2017

Sep 13, 2017

Sep 7, 2017

  • international icon: Art Explosion

    Diplomatic Security:

    Key Oversight Issues
    GAO-17-681SP: Published: Sep 7, 2017. Publicly Released: Sep 7, 2017.

Sep 5, 2017

Aug 29, 2017

Looking for more? Browse all our products here