Military Airlift:

Cost and Complexity of the C-17 Aircraft Research and Development Program

NSIAD-91-5: Published: Mar 19, 1991. Publicly Released: Mar 19, 1991.

Additional Materials:

Contact:

Office of Public Affairs
(202) 512-4800
youngc1@gao.gov

Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO provided information on the cost and complexity of the Air Force's C-17 aircraft research and deployment program.

GAO found that: (1) the Air Force allocated a $4.2-billion target price to the full-scale engineering development portion of the contract; (2) about 51 percent of that target price was attributable to C-17 design and development, and the remaining 49 percent was for overhead, general and administrative costs, other negotiated costs, and contractor fees; (3) the total cost for the design and development of the aircraft was $2.1 billion, of which 54 percent was for air vehicle costs; (4) the remaining 46 percent of the design and development costs were for management, evaluation, and support equipment; (5) although some of the individual C-17 structure and systems involved sophisticated technologies, few new technologies were used in the aircraft; and (6) program officials reported that the integration of those sophisticated technologies into a workable aircraft design was a major engineering and management task.

Oct 30, 2014

Oct 16, 2014

Oct 10, 2014

Oct 8, 2014

Sep 30, 2014

Sep 25, 2014

Sep 23, 2014

Sep 19, 2014

Sep 18, 2014

Looking for more? Browse all our products here