Pension Plans:

Status of Labor's Economically Targeted Investments Clearinghouse

HEHS-98-99R: Published: Feb 27, 1998. Publicly Released: Feb 27, 1998.

Additional Materials:

Contact:

Jane L. Ross
(202) 512-3000
contact@gao.gov

 

Office of Public Affairs
(202) 512-4800
youngc1@gao.gov

Pursuant to a congressional request, GAO provided information on the Department of Labor's contract to establish and operate an economically targeted investments (ETI) clearinghouse, focusing on: (1) whether the applicable federal statutes and regulations were fully adhered to in selecting the ETI clearinghouse contractor; (2) how much was budgeted for and paid to the contractor; (3) what labor staff resources were involved in setting up and operating the ETI clearinghouse; (4) work that the contractor performed; and (5) the current status of the ETI clearinghouse.

GAO noted that: (1) Labor complied with the applicable federal procurement law and regulation in awarding the ETI clearinghouse contract to Hamilton Securities; (2) the entire contractor selection process was competitive among three vendors; (3) Labor held negotiations with each vendor; (4) of the $1,520,411 base period contract awarded in September 1994 for the 2-year period, Labor's share of the approved contract expenses was to be 55 percent, and the contractor's share was the remaining 45 percent; (5) for the 2-year base period, Labor approved payments of $774,723 of the $780,000 initially budgeted to reimburse Hamilton Securities for approved contract expenses; (6) Labor estimates that about 16 individuals from seven departmental offices spent nearly 630 hours from January 1993 through December 1997 on the ETI clearinghouse project; (7) Labor personnel activities included ETI clearinghouse contract procurement, development, analysis, policy research, and monitoring; (8) Hamilton Securities successfully completed each of the eight required contract tasks by the end of the contract base period; (9) among other things, the contractor developed an ETI database and created a clearinghouse web site for use by members of the pension community; (10) in August 1996, Labor decided not to exercise the option year permitted by the September 1994 contract because the contract requirements had been met by the end of the 2-year base period; (11) after the base period contract ended in September 1996, Hamilton Securities continued to operate the ETI clearinghouse but without any further Labor financial support; (12) in December 1997, the firm decided to cease clearinghouse operations; and (13) Labor cited operational difficulties and long-term revenue concerns as the reasons for Hamilton Securities' decision to discontinue these operations.

Sep 14, 2016

Sep 8, 2016

May 5, 2016

Apr 13, 2016

Apr 4, 2016

Mar 1, 2016

Oct 29, 2015

Oct 27, 2015

  • retirement icon, source: PhotoDisc

    Social Security's Future:

    Answers to Key Questions
    GAO-16-75SP: Published: Oct 27, 2015. Publicly Released: Oct 27, 2015.

Sep 30, 2015

Looking for more? Browse all our products here