Audit Resolution:

Responsiveness of Defense Management to Internal Audit Recommendations

AFMD-87-37BR: Published: Jul 31, 1987. Publicly Released: Aug 31, 1987.

Additional Materials:

Contact:

Office of Public Affairs
(202) 512-4800
youngc1@gao.gov

In response to a congressional request, GAO reported on the responsiveness of Department of Defense (DOD) management to recommendations contained in audit reports issued by the four central DOD audit organizations.

GAO found that: (1) DOD audit resolution systems have improved since the establishment of the DOD Office of Inspector General (OIG) in September 1982; (2) DOD management can increase audit benefits by taking prompt, responsive action on findings and recommendations it has agreed to implement, and ensuring that closed recommendations have in fact been implemented; (3) 45 recommendations that management had agreed to implement were open for at least 1 year and, in some instances, as much as 2 years after the scheduled implementation dates; (4) the potential monetary benefits of these open recommendations, reported at $363 million, were slowed and may even be lost as a result of implementation delays; (5) 84 percent of 377 Army, Air Force, and DOD OIG recommendations claimed to have been implemented were properly reported as being implemented, and the benefits expected were generally achieved; (6) for the remaining 16 percent, documentation in audit follow-up files did not support the decisions to close the recommendations; and (7) while 79 percent of 103 recommendations in Naval Audit Service follow-up audits were properly closed, the remaining 21 percent were closed without required corrective action.

Sep 20, 2016

Sep 6, 2016

Aug 19, 2016

Aug 12, 2016

Jul 29, 2016

Jul 28, 2016

Jul 13, 2016

Jul 11, 2016

Jun 13, 2016

Looking for more? Browse all our products here