Employees (21 - 27 of 27 items)
Private Pensions: GAO Survey of 401(k) Plan Sponsor Practices (GAO-08-870SP, July 2008), an E-supplement to GAO-08-774
GAO-08-870SP: Published: Jul 16, 2008. Publicly Released: Jul 16, 2008.
American workers are increasingly reliant on 401(k) plans for their retirement security, and sponsors of 401(k) plans have critical obligations under the Employment Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA). To administer these plans, the sponsor--typically the employer offering the 401(k) plan--selects plan features and other characteristics, including the types of investment options offered...
Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation: A More Strategic Approach Could Improve Human Capital Management
GAO-08-624: Published: Jun 12, 2008. Publicly Released: Jul 14, 2008.
The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) employs over 800 federal employees and uses some 1,500 private sector employees to insure the pensions of millions of private sector workers and retirees in certain employer-sponsored pension plans. In recent years, PBGC's projected financial liabilities and workloads have increased greatly due to a large number of pension plan terminations. Given th...
Individual Retirement Accounts: Government Actions Could Encourage More Employers to Offer IRAs to Employees
GAO-08-890T: Published: Jun 26, 2008. Publicly Released: Jun 26, 2008.
Congress created individual retirement accounts (IRAs) with two goals: (1) to provide a retirement savings vehicle for workers without employer-sponsored retirement plans, and (2) to preserve individuals' savings in employer-sponsored retirement plans when they change jobs or retire. Questions remain about IRAs' effectiveness as a vehicle to facilitate new, or additional, retirement savings. GAO w...
Department of Energy: Information on Its Management of Costs and Liabilities for Contractors' Pension and Postretirement Benefit Plans
GAO-08-642R: Published: Jun 19, 2008. Publicly Released: Jun 19, 2008.
For the past 60 years, the Department of Energy (DOE) and its predecessors have carried out their national security, environmental cleanup, and research and development missions through management and operating (M&O) contracts and other site contracts for operations at DOE-owned facilities. DOE currently has 43 such contracts with private companies and nonprofit organizations, including universiti...
Social Security: Issues Regarding the Coverage of Public Employees
GAO-08-248T: Published: Nov 6, 2007. Publicly Released: Nov 6, 2007.
Social Security covers about 96 percent of all U.S. workers; the vast majority of the remaining 4 percent are public employees. Although these noncovered workers do not pay Social Security taxes on their government earnings, they may still be eligible for Social Security benefits through their spouses' or their own earnings from other covered employment. Social Security has provisions--the Governm...
Retirement Decisions: Federal Policies Offer Mixed Signals about When to Retire
GAO-07-753: Published: Jul 11, 2007. Publicly Released: Jul 11, 2007.
While many factors influence workers' decisions to retire, Social Security, Medicare, and pension laws also play a role, offering incentives to retire earlier and later. Identifying these incentives and how workers respond can help policy makers address the demographic challenges facing the nation. GAO assessed (1) the incentives federal policies provide about when to retire, (2) recent retirement...
Older Workers: Some Best Practices and Strategies for Engaging and Retaining Older Workers
GAO-07-433T: Published: Feb 28, 2007. Publicly Released: Feb 28, 2007.
More Americans remaining in the workforce at older ages could lead to benefits at several levels. First, working longer will allow older workers to bolster their retirement savings. Second, hiring and retaining older workers will help employers deal with projected labor shortages. Third, older workers will contribute to economic growth and increase federal revenues, helping to defray some of the a...