Cost analysis (1 - 4 of 4 items) in Past Year
Federal Telework: Better Guidance Could Help Agencies Calculate Benefits and Costs
GAO-16-551: Published: Jul 15, 2016. Publicly Released: Aug 1, 2016.
Benefits associated with telework programs include continuity of operations and reduced employee absences, based on GAO's literature review and the experiences of six selected agencies. The benefits most frequently cited by the selected agencies—the Department of Transportation (DOT), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), General Services Administra...
2020 Census: Census Bureau Needs to Improve Its Life-Cycle Cost Estimating Process
GAO-16-628: Published: Jun 30, 2016. Publicly Released: Jun 30, 2016.
Since 2012, the U.S. Census Bureau (Bureau) has taken significant steps to improve its capacity to carry out an effective cost estimate; however, its October 2015 cost estimate for the 2020 Census does not fully reflect characteristics of a high-quality estimate and cannot be considered reliable. To reflect these characteristics, an organization must meet or substantially meet four best practices...
Presidential Helicopter: Program Progressing Largely as Planned
GAO-16-395: Published: Apr 14, 2016. Publicly Released: Apr 14, 2016.
Since 2014, the VH-92A presidential helicopter program has generally progressed as planned. Through November 2015, the contractor accomplished approximately $239.0 million (22 percent) in development work—leaving about $863.9 million (78 percent) in estimated work over the next 5 years. As of December 2015, the prime contractor had accomplished nearly all of the expected developmental tasks at o...
Homeland Security Acquisitions: DHS Has Strengthened Management, but Execution and Affordability Concerns Endure
GAO-16-338SP: Published: Mar 31, 2016. Publicly Released: Mar 31, 2016.
During 2015, 11 of the 25 Department of Homeland Security (DHS) programs GAO reviewed remained on track to meet their current schedule and cost goals. Eight programs experienced schedule slips, cost growth, or both, including 5 programs with life-cycle cost estimates that increased by a total of 18 percent. For the remaining six programs, DHS leadership had not approved baselines establishing thei...